Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you have all heard about Aquatune and its water injection system. I am suspicious....but they seem to have a pretty convincing site. Then again, they are a business so they are trying to earn money. Has anyone tried it? Whats your opinion on it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Old school fix for detonation by delaying combustion... sort of like using premium fuel. I've seen people use it for their high-output, forced inducted cars. It probably isn't all that effective if the motor doesn't have unusually high compression or doesn't need extra cooling that can't be covered with intercooler and cold/ram air setups.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
This will help keep intake temps down in the summer and it will also keep the intake free of carbon.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Dec 14 2003, 01:37 PM
This will help keep intake temps down in the summer and it will also keep the intake free of carbon.
Exactly. Water injection will make your car consistently perform as if the weather is cold (which is very good!) In racing (track or street) it gives you an edge on warm or hot days.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Back in the old days there were a lot of High compression cars out there. Then the oil embargo came along and you couldn't get high octane gas. The water injection provided a fix.

That is when I first noticed this type of setup getting used.

·
0 Posts
my friends grandpa has the patten for that and on all their non injected cars they have even on the 81 vette so yea its good considering the homemade version i think they have works like a dream

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, any ideas about the gas mileage increase?
94taurusgt....proper english would reeeeallly help people to understand what your saying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i got a small water injection kit on my s4. Its like a steam cleaner for inside your engine like one guy said no carbon biuld up. but since u will be putting one on it will take about 1000miles for most if not all the carbon to be gone depening how many miles and what condition your engine is in now, or at the start. . it does help with mileage on hot days and with forced induction. i just use it for detination. i use high octane and still when i spike i get a little the water helps alot!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
after all the reading ive done, i will be definatly trying this with my next engine mod.

If you have an issue with space or mountine another res, you can do like i will probbaly do....tap a line off the windshield res, add a pump and go at it (of course i will fill it with h2o and isopropal alc. that way it will still clean the windshield, and better yet....if you have a low washer indicator, it will tell you when you are low!

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Just a note... that may cost a little money in the long run. They recommend distilled or RO (reverse osmosis) water, and not tap water or spring water which has unwanted extras (minerals ammonia chlorine etc...)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think the cost of distilled water is too prohibitive, but the price tag on that aquatune sure is. The picture showed a little box, some hoses and a 99 cent water jug for $370.

My question is how important is that little box and how hard would it be to make one at home?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Dagamemnon@Dec 22 2003, 01:23 AM
I don't think the cost of distilled water is too prohibitive, but the price tag on that aquatune sure is. The picture showed a little box, some hoses and a 99 cent water jug for $370.

My question is how important is that little box and how hard would it be to make one at home?
If you're going to do a home made set-up be VERY CAREFUL with the tuning. The last thing you want out of this is hydro-lock.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you're going to do a home made set-up be VERY CAREFUL with the tuning. The last thing you want out of this is hydro-lock. [/quote]
I'll think i'll be waiting until some how-to's are posted.

But out of curiousity, what has to ber tuned? The ECU? Or just the water flow (or spray)?

B

·
0 Posts
Mike Kopstain did this to his Gen 2 Vulcan, using a washer pump and a nitrous jet in the intake tube. Seems to have worked well for him. You guys may want to hit him up for some installation tips.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I ordered one of these units and got it in today. I have to install a nozzle in the upper intake manifold. I have to drill and tap to get the nozzle installed. Is there going to be any problems since this is composite? Any help would be appreciated.

*edit* Another question and observation.

What will I do if I was to get another chip for this car someday. It says it utilizes the 87 octane, so would I get one with just the regular gas, but improved shifts? Or will this water injection act as higher octane fuel?

I got this kit more for HP, and gas mileage, but am excited about the emissions, as I've had a pretty extensive class in sustainability.

The instructions say not to use double platinum plugs. And to use cheap spark plugs that are higher temperature. What comes stock on the gen IV Duratecs?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kermit Posted on Jan 24 2004, 07:51 PM I got this kit more for HP, and gas mileage, but am excited about the emissions, as I've had a pretty extensive class in sustainability.[/b]

oh plz tell me u didnt spend the money on it for the hp, because THERE IS NONE. its water duh get a clue. do u even know hot water injection works and what it does to the engine. maybe you should have looked into it a little more before u spent the money. gas mileage ha what a joke there. and what do u mean byQUOTE
as I've had a pretty extensive class in sustainability[/b]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by BMWevo600@Jan 24 2004, 09:17 PM
Kermit Posted on Jan 24 2004, 07:51 PM I got this kit more for HP, and gas mileage, but am excited about the emissions, as I've had a pretty extensive class in sustainability.

oh plz tell me u didnt spend the money on it for the hp, because THERE IS NONE. its water duh get a clue. do u even know hot water injection works and what it does to the engine. maybe you should have looked into it a little more before u spent the money. gas mileage ha what a joke there. and what do u mean byQUOTE
as I've had a pretty extensive class in sustainability[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Well genius. You tell us. What will HWI do? BMWevo600 Take your beamer into an oak tree, preferably at a speed in excess of 80 M.P.H. No need to be prick and critisize him like that. We dont't need any of your type around here.
Clown.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts