Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in my trunk to get out my lug wrench in discovered water in the spare tire well .Any ideas about were this is coming from? There is a rubber seal in the bottom of the well that i sealed up but i was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
not sure of taurii, i don't have the problem, but on my cavalier the water was coming in on the vent that is on the side of the trunk behind the rear wheel. it is covered by the side of the bumper cover. anyway the cavalier was getting water in through there when the water would be thrown off the tire. the only fix for the cavalier was to have the dealer install what basically looked like a bottom of a oil jug (4 gallon one or whatever the size is) was screwed and sealed up and that ended the problem. again not sure about the taurus but i would check that and check the trunk wheather stripping

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
on my sable it leaks in around the top corners of my trunk seal it just doesnt meet up right or something

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2000 Mercury Sable that had water in the spare tire well and tried everything to find the problem including closing the trunk and running a hose and found no leak at all. The rubber seal was fine and to this day I've checked maybe once or twice a month and no water. This occurred over two years ago. I thought it had to be the gasket around the trunk but apparently not. If you find out where the water came from please post your findings.......thanks.......

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I have the same issue. It has been bothering me for months. My particle board and carpet cover are starting to develop mold. :wacko: I thought it was a leaky grommet beneath but I think perusing that is a lost cause.

There is a Guide in the topic finder, but I don't think it is related.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I too have had this problem on a gen 2 Taurus sedan. I found some small sources and fix them all but the problem did not go away. I later removed the tail light lens and found a good size opening. I fixed it with a body seam filler and it Solved the problem.

Keep looking until you find all of the sources. You need to be relentless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 3 2009, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736816
I have the same issue. It has been bothering me for months. My particle board and carpet cover are starting to develop mold. :wacko: I thought it was a leaky grommet beneath but I think perusing that is a lost cause.

There is a Guide in the topic finder, but I don't think it is related.[/b]
Yea this is strange as the carpet cover and board are dry just wet in the wheel well .But i did seal the grommet .and i'll try the hose on it and go from there. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 04 Taurus was leaking around the trunk gasket near the driver's side taillight. After resealing it, I haven't had a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I helped fix up an 02 Taurus that my sister in law bought for herself.
It had the trunk leak problem too.

I climbed in the closed trunk as my wife ran the water hose over the rear window/trunk area.
I found leaks in two sections, repaired them, and so far, no more leaks!

One section is a plastic clip that holds the rear window glass in position (when its installed?).
Its located on each corner under the black plastic lip that is attached to the bottom of the window glass.

This black wierd-looking clip is placed in two sealed holes to keep it in place.
With this car, the clip was partially broken off, allowing water to come through one of the holes into the trunk.

In this instance, since the rear window was firmly in place, I broke off the rest of the clip and siliconed those two holes. That solved leak #1.

Leak #2 was found where the rear bumper is clipped to the body using 5 push pins.
You can see these pins when you pop the trunk lid and look under the gasket that is located at the bottom of the trunk on the outside.
Water was coming in through these push pin areas.
I removed each pin, siliconed it, replaced and solved the problem.

Don't forget to check your front passenger floorboard too.
There was a leak there too, the padding was totally soaked and gross on this 02.

I tore out and threw away the padding, picked up the carpeting as well as I could, and ran a fan in there for 24 hours to dry it out.
I replaced the padding with some basement carpet padding I had extra and put it back together.
I siliconed around the air conditioning drain located on the firewall behind the engine and that solved the problem too!!

I hope this helps out with some of the trunk/floor leak issues for our other members. :)

Reactions: Paparaxxo

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
My water was coming from the drip seal/weather stripping along the rear edge. I had to remove the drip gasket/weather stripping and re-seal it with a bead of caulk in the seal and put it back on. Water stopped. Sanded the wheel well and removed the couple of rust spots, primer'ed it with a zinc primer and then painted it with semigloss enamel.

To resolve this problem you must get in your trunk with a flashlight and have someone hose it down from the outside while you look for the leaks inside. You have to remove your carpet and trim inside the trunk to find the leaks. It is easy to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem too, and it drove me nuts, but i fixed it. THere are several rubber plugs that go into the floor of the trunk. I pried these out (ever so gently) and then cleaned them up and wiped them down with rubbing alcohol. I then took some silicone caulk and liberally applied it to the plugs and reinstalled them. I even crawled under the car to add a small additional amount of caulk just for good measure. This completely and totally solved the problem, it's been over a year now and NO MORE WATER IN THE TRUNK!!! If this doesn't work for you, then you probably have a bad trunk seal gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Dave Mandu @ Oct 18 2009, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=760766
I had this problem too, and it drove me nuts, but i fixed it. THere are several rubber plugs that go into the floor of the trunk. I pried these out (ever so gently) and then cleaned them up and wiped them down with rubbing alcohol. I then took some silicone caulk and liberally applied it to the plugs and reinstalled them. I even crawled under the car to add a small additional amount of caulk just for good measure. This completely and totally solved the problem, it's been over a year now and NO MORE WATER IN THE TRUNK!!! If this doesn't work for you, then you probably have a bad trunk seal gasket.[/b]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

I can actually add something to a thread! Feels good to give back, finally.

I also had LOTS of water after each storm in my trunk in my '02.

After caulking the rubber seal to the taillights that ripped, the bottom of the window, and the trunk seal gasket to no avail, I got serious. Removed all the coverings around the inside of the trunk--believe it was a plastic piece--shut the the trunk lid, and poured water out of a jug onto the rear window. Climbed inside with flashlight in hand and climbed over the folded down rear seat. My culprit? A seam in pieces of metal coming together, on the pass. side on the back between the taillight and the trunk latch. I watched it drip drip drip, which helped me noticed the dried entrails of where it had been leaking the entire time.

Caulked that seam w/ clear silicone. Let it dry, and repeated the jug technique on Day 2. No water leak. Never again.

Hope this helps someone. If any questions, I can check exactly what I did and what was removed.

-J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem on 99 SE

Echo replies about getting in trunk with flashlight. It was the only way I found my leaky tail light grommet. Hard to find, easy to fix! Easier to do if your back seat drops to access the trunk. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yap, I had this same problem. For me I just removed the trunk carpet to inspect every joint. Noticed several cracks in the sealant where the seams are located. To fix it I resealed these cracks with liquid-nails. It took a couple of times but I finally got it. I didn't need to get in the trunk, I just ran water along the inside edge to trace it out since the trunk carpet was removed. As I recall, it was the driver’s side that had the most problem sealing up and that was around the tail light assembly area. I would say to perform a through inspection to determine where your leaks are if you are getting water in your spare tire well. Good luck when or if you car develops this problem.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Just got in my trunk to get out my lug wrench in discovered water in the spare tire well .Any ideas about were this is coming from? There is a rubber seal in the bottom of the well that i sealed up but i was wondering if anyone else has this problem.
You might check the seals around the rear lamps. My 91' was leaking around the driver side lamp and settling into the spare tire well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have a leaky trunk too but i know where its coming from. but i dont know how to fix it. its coming from the joints of steel infront of the trunk gasket where the factory used seam sealer. my seal sealed leak is all cracked. any one have a idea beside seam sealer???????:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
i have a leaky trunk too but i know where its coming from. but i dont know how to fix it. its coming from the joints of steel infront of the trunk gasket where the factory used seam sealer. my seal sealed leak is all cracked. any one have a idea beside seam sealer???????:dunno:
Several good suggestions are given in previous posts in this thread......

·
Registered
198 Posts
You might check the seals around the rear lamps. My 91' was leaking around the driver side lamp and settling into the spare tire well.

mine is wet everywher like a spring morning, wet everywhere not just in the spare tire carrier.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts