Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the coil packs off and pulled the plugs on my 00 Duratec last night. What I noticed right off upon pulling the plugs was how rusty the plugs were. In fact, I think that was why the plugs were so hard to get out of the head. The plugs had rusted and stuck to the head. Any ideas where the water came from that caused this? The holes were dry when I pulled the plugs, but at one time there was water in there. I am assuming it came from condensation, rain or possibly if the engine was washed before I got it.

Anyone else here notice a buildup of water in the holes? Perhaps the COP ignition doesn't seal as good as the 'tecs with wires do.

Other than the rust the plugs looked great after 42K miles, the gap was still dead on. I'm going to be installing new ones this afternoon. But, I am glad I pulled them now, if I had waited until 80 or 90K miles I might have not gotten them out of the head.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Hey, this has nothing to do with what you posted sorry.. I'm back in Carbondale today just wanted to see what you are doing. And could you send me a pic of your avator? (like the big picture full size)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember where I found the pic for the avatar. I just did a web search for a duratec pic and I shrunk it. I don't have the full sized one any more.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would say that it would have to be from someone washing the engine, possibly the dealer if you got the car used. In that case, the water that was left in the cylinder head spark plug holes would have been turned to water vapor when the heads warmed up. This would have found its way into the spark plug boot and rusted it. You are lucky you got the plugs out of the head. You could have been in for a world of trouble if you hadn't!

JR

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with godspunk, it was probably because of someone washing the engine.

As for the plugs being hard to get out, my stock plugs were the same way. Seems Ford didn't use anti-seize on the threads. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts