Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this was asked before, I tried to search for it but didn't find anything. My right headlight has water in it. It started off as a little condensation, but now it's getting worse, there's even a little bit of water pooling in the bottom :blink: . Any idea's as to how to repair/prevent this?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Repair would be to pull the headlight off and dump out the water. Prevention??? The only thing I could think of to rpevent this would be to pull the lense off the actual housing and reseal it with some aquarium sealant...

JR

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Hmmm I've never seen one not start leaking after being repaired. Usually its just easier to replace the headlight only once with a new one. How does that aquarium sealant work? Maybe it might be a viable option, have you done it yourself?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The headlights on my old Topaz used to fill up with water occasionally, so to fix it, I pried off the lenses, which is really tricky, because you can't crack them in any way. Then you take aquarium sealant, which is nothing more than silicon caulk thats formulated to hold up in all weather conditions, and put a small bead around the headlight housing. You then fit the lense back over top of it, making sure you don't get sealant everywhere, and making sure that the lense is completely sealed and flush against the lip of the housing.

JR

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure i found the leak and sealed it, i'll check it out in a few days to see if its better. I might just go to a junk yard and grab a couple of replacement headlights, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
one of those parking lights/turn lights in my 96 GL always have a small pool of water at the botton... thx to summer its gone now...:) but it rains here in NC every week

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Firespirit@May 10 2004, 08:11 PM
Eh, just buy some goldfish for both headlights and say it's a mod :)
Hmm...... B) :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Drive with the headlights on for a while (or all the time) provided you don't already. The heat from the globe will evaporate the water and it will exit out the snorkel thing (provided it isn't broken).
That worked for me, and since it doesn't rain in Melbourne very often, I haven't had trouble since.
Julian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts