Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way my wife uses the windshield washer to try and wash the whoel car it doesn't suprise me that the system is not working. I checked the fuze under the hood by swapping it with another. Since there was no change I assumed that the washer pump was bad so I have replaced it. Still no change, as I can not hear the pump functioning when activated I must assume that there is something wrong with the multifunction switch since it is the only part in the systme I have not replaced

I will check this out this weekend, my CD shows how to do a test of the MFS for the washer system.

Any other iedas to check?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
my first guess would be the multifunction swich...in my 96 taurus, it has been kind of on the way out.

Brad

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, sounds right. On my '93 you had kind of had to "work with" the switch a bit to get any fluid out.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Have you checked all the washer fluid lines? Mine rotted out and all I had to do was cut out the rotten parts off and stick a bigger piece in there to bridge the gap. I think the under-the-hood heat helps deteriorate the rubber lines, might want to check those before you go replacing switches and pumps and stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same with my 93, u have to push it in and out a few times, the window wipers will turn on and u can hear the click but the fluid hesitates to come out.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Dec 29 2003, 10:40 PM
Have you checked all the washer fluid lines? Mine rotted out and all I had to do was cut out the rotten parts off and stick a bigger piece in there to bridge the gap. I think the under-the-hood heat helps deteriorate the rubber lines, might want to check those before you go replacing switches and pumps and stuff.
Check that too, mine had the same problem.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by Mike C@Dec 30 2003, 05:48 AM
Same with my 93, u have to push it in and out a few times, the window wipers will turn on and u can hear the click but the fluid hesitates to come out.
Hey! My car does that exact thing! Know what's causing the long delay of the fluid?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine had that problem, and it turned out to be some crap on the connectors on the washer pump. I unplugged the connector on the pump, cleaned out the plug with electric contact spray cleaner, re-connected it, and it's worked fine now, for several years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
where is the multi function switch located? My 92 sable has the same problem...well come to think of it I need to se if I even hear the motor trying to run first.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
OK guys, here's your solution. It takes about 5 minutes.

What you'll need:
Pocketknife
Philips screwdriver
Electric Contact Cleaner (I use "Lectra-motive")
Paper towel

The part of the MFS that deals with the washer/wiper function is inside the handle of the turn signal. Use the pocketknife to gently pry off the end cap. On the newer (Gen3+) models, it might not look like it comes off that way, but it does. Once the cap is off, unscrew the Philips screw inside. There is a spring behind it, so don't let it fly out or you might lose it. Once you pull the guts out, you will immediately see exactly why the switch isn't working. 9/10 of the time, there is verdegris, corrosion, or some other sludge in there all over the contacts. Spray it down with contact cleaner, and get the crap out with a paper towel. Don't play rough with the contacts, or you might bend them up. Once, it's cleaned up, put everything back together. Easy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, but cleaned the MF switch and no luck. I ran a hot wire from the battery direct to the pump and the pump is ok. When I push in the button on the turn stock, I hear a little click (the relay perhaps?) but no power goes to the washer motor. Does anyone know what color the wires would be coming from the MF switch??. That way I might run a new wire from the switch to the battery and motor. Very frustrating, especially after spending over $500 for a new battery and alternator and belt just the other day **sigh**.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the same problem, I'll press the button and the wipers will move across the windshield but no fluid comes out. I've tried refilling the fluid resivor and cleaning out the nozzles with a toothpick, still no luck. I guess I'll try a new pump and then the multifunction switch next.

·
TCCA Staff (Retired)
3,816 Posts
sounds crazy, but check the 2 wire plug that connects to the motor on the fluid bottle. Mine quit working a few months back and that was all it was...the plug came loose.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Originally posted by ritalin@Jan 12 2004, 07:31 PM
I have the same problem, but cleaned the MF switch and no luck. I ran a hot wire from the battery direct to the pump and the pump is ok. When I push in the button on the turn stock, I hear a little click (the relay perhaps?) but no power goes to the washer motor. Does anyone know what color the wires would be coming from the MF switch??. That way I might run a new wire from the switch to the battery and motor. Very frustrating, especially after spending over $500 for a new battery and alternator and belt just the other day **sigh**.

:(
Thanks for the help.
On your car there is an "Interval Wiper/Washer Module" located behind the center of the instrument panel, on the left vertical brace. It supplies power to the wiper and washer motors when needed. Here is a schematic diagram of the 1995 wiper/washer system (page 2).

If the Module has failed, and you decide to cobble together your own washer pump circuit, you will have to use a relay and fuse. This should be a last resort. It would be much better to use the existing equipment. You could go to the junkyard and get another Module. I'd guess that a wiring or switch problem is more likely.

Main Entry: ver·di·gris
Pronunciation: 'v&r-d&-"grEs, -"gris, -gr&s also -"grE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English vertegrez, from Old French vert de Grice, literally, green of Greece
1 a : a green or greenish blue poisonous pigment resulting from the action of acetic acid on copper and consisting of one or more basic copper acetates b : normal copper acetate Cu(C2H3O2)2·H2O
2 : a green or bluish deposit especially of copper carbonates formed on copper, brass, or bronze surfaces

·
Registered
1 Posts
SixFoFalcon, thanks very much for this quick solution to my problem.
Joined just to post this!

- doc

OK guys, here's your solution. It takes about 5 minutes.

What you'll need:
Pocketknife
Philips screwdriver
Electric Contact Cleaner (I use "Lectra-motive")
Paper towel

The part of the MFS that deals with the washer/wiper function is inside the handle of the turn signal. Use the pocketknife to gently pry off the end cap. On the newer (Gen3+) models, it might not look like it comes off that way, but it does. Once the cap is off, unscrew the Philips screw inside. There is a spring behind it, so don't let it fly out or you might lose it. Once you pull the guts out, you will immediately see exactly why the switch isn't working. 9/10 of the time, there is verdegris, corrosion, or some other sludge in there all over the contacts. Spray it down with contact cleaner, and get the crap out with a paper towel. Don't play rough with the contacts, or you might bend them up. Once, it's cleaned up, put everything back together. Easy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts