Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I changed the ATF fluid/filter/gasket in my 2003 Taurus for the first time. I bought a filter/gasket kit from Advance Autoparts.
When I put the new gasket on, I lightly "oiled" it with a little of the new transmission fluid.
I torqued the bolts to around 10 lbs. ( my torque wrench is crap), but after I got it all back together, I was getting a little bit of leaking.
I carefully snugged the bolts up just a bit, and wiped everything down.
Yesterday when I checked, it didn't seem to be leaking anymore (but I'm going to keep checking it).
My question is: was it a bad idea to lube the new gasket before putting it on?
I always do that with oil filters, so I thought I should with this gasket too.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
I doubt if you hurt anything. Are you sure it was leaking, or just the atf you slathered on oozing out when the pan was tightened? Pan gaskets go on dry, filter neck seals get a little atf.

·
Registered
697 Posts
FWIW, I remember leakage originally when I

did this a few years ago.

I think you have to go back and retighten everything. ATF is able to escape through the most minute gap. When the new gasket settles in, it should be OK. I still have a little leakage but not enough to drip (it spreads on the surface of the pan, then cakes with road dirt).

Get a 1/4" drive torque wrench with inch-pound increments for these low-torque situations. They're not too expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It probably didn't hurt anything to oil the gasket, but it most likely didn't help either.

The only reason to oil the seal on an oil filter is to aid in removal when the time comes to replace it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hopefully you didn't use the pos cork gasket. The OEM gasket and many of the newer filter kits come with a reusable rubber gasket that has spacers built in to prevent over tighting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully you didn't use the pos cork gasket. The OEM gasket and many of the newer filter kits come with a reusable rubber gasket that has spacers built in to prevent over tighting.
It was a Pro-King gasket with the metal spacers.
I didn't pitch the OEM one & will probably keep it since people here say they're reusable.
BTW, I checked again last night & it's not leaking, so I guess everything's ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts