Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned and operated a 1987 MT-5 for (10) years. When buying parts from time to time, I would see a category listing for a 3.0L 5-Speed MT-5.

Did Ford ever produce a 3.0L Vulcan with a 5-speed in a Taurus? I've never seen one. Just curious. If they did, it was very low production or special order.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
No manually-shifted Tauruses were ever built with the Vulcan. Only the HSC 4-cylinder was available in the MT-5.

Of course, there were MTX-equipped SHO's with the 3.0L Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^ Yup, this is true.

So that's what your old MT5 looked like?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
qwertz9586,

I do remember a 3.0 5-speed in the Tempo. You are right. I think it was detuned to 120-130 HP, if I recall correctly.

Bull Geek,

Yes, that's the MT-5 I drove for (10) years. The previous owner had put 15" Cougar wheels on it and tinted the windows.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I seem to remember the Vulcan Tempo / Topaz was rated at 135 HP. It wasnt purposely detuned, it was the highly restrictive exhaust (due to the weird routing) that dropped the HP down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,

You are probably right on that. I just remember the HP was lower than the Taurus. Did not know why.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
emb2580:

I called the Ford parts dept in 2000, and found out what they were and how much they cost. I have forgotten what year they were. But (10) years ago the wheels were still available at approx. $400+ each.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I owned and operated a 1987 MT-5 for (10) years. When buying parts from time to time, I would see a category listing for a 3.0L 5-Speed MT-5.

Did Ford ever produce a 3.0L Vulcan with a 5-speed in a Taurus? I've never seen one. Just curious. If they did, it was very low production or special order.
Interesting MT5.

Most of them had blacked out normal-looking C-pillars like Ls/GLs, but yours looks like a SHO!
I wonder if the '86 and '87 MT5s looked like this, while the '88s looked normal.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
He had his car painted. :)

And the B/C pillar blackout was actually an option on a number of the early Gen 1s. Usually sedans had it. Wagons did not (mine doesn't).

·
Registered
75 Posts
He had his car painted. :)

And the B/C pillar blackout was actually an option on a number of the early Gen 1s. Usually sedans had it. Wagons did not (mine doesn't).
Thanks! I did not see anything re: the B/C pillar blackout in the Encyclopedia. This is the first time I have heard about it :)

So basically, your basic Taurus had a SHO-like look (think Sierra as well)? and then what we now see as "normal" Taurus B/C blackout was an option? OR do I have it backwards.

This is an MT5 with the weird look I'm referring to.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
MT-5s shown in early brochures had a ribbed nose piece between the headlights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder if I could find those. I saw an L with a ribbed nose piece between the headlights. And it was black and the rest of the car was brown.

I like the MT5s that looked like SHOs-no black B and C pillars. Basic and yet effective. The normal Taurii look good too.
Taurus L

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the cover of a car magazine from 1986, showing an MT-5 concept car. Looks a lot like the '89 SHO, eh?

My MT-5 was monochromatic when I bought it. The only other MT-5 I've seen in the area here, looks like a GL, except for the MT-5 on the door bumper strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
mt5 :)

Here is the cover of a car magazine from 1986, showing an MT-5 concept car. Looks a lot like the '89 SHO, eh?

My MT-5 was monochromatic when I bought it. The only other MT-5 I've seen in the area here, looks like a GL, except for the MT-5 on the door bumper strip.
A rare L

interior. from tcca...still weird to see it, even today w/5 speed stick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I saw several MT5s in my life.

Silver MT5 in Shaker Heights, sometime, late 80s. I was 3 or 4 and remember the word "MT5" on the side of the strip. This was by that big intersection of 422, 8, Warrensville, out by the high school and Van Aken.

1988 MT5, brown, friend of family. Looked like L/GL with black B/C pillars. Normal, power windows, loaded. Mother of two kids in scouts had it, but it was rotting underneath.

1986 or '87 wagon, Dec. 1995, on way to Lakewood on I-90 freeway east of Cleveland. White, rusted out, full of junk in back. It had the Sable B pillar of early Wagons. This was my only Wagon I saw!

1986-88, champagne. Huntsburg, Ohio. In the middle of a farm field. It was an MT5 b/c of the monochrome B/C and the ad said 5 speed stick. This was in June '99.

1987, silver, Buckwheat PA, right off of I-80 at Cracker Barrel or some restaurant (a series of restaurants on an access road). On trip to New York City, 2001. Monochrome.

1987, beige, Troy Ohio, north of Dayton, on way to dog show. Outside Bob Evans and local hotel/restaurant row area. Great condition. Monochrome.

1986, silver, beat to hell, Cuy. Falls, Ohio, Oct, 2003. I saw it at the intersection of State and Portage Trail. Monochrome.

1987, blue! beat to hell, Freedom/Windham Ohio junkyard, March 2004. I went up there and sat in it. I have 35mm photos of it, but have not scanned them. It is a monochrome.

I just tell they are MT5s due to the window treatment and lack of SHO cladding. The only one, my friend's, I would never have known unless I looked in the interior. Had I seen it at 500 yards I would have said GL.
josh

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 2.3L/2.5L 4-cylinder coupled to a 5-speed trans, from my experience (22 years driving Tauruses and Tempos), is the most durable, trouble free engine/trans combos that Ford sold since the mid 1980's, imho.

Attached is a photo of the MT-5 a few months before I sold it. Replacement parts for the emission controls were getting hard to find, though there may be better sources today. At the time it was sold, it had over 300k on the clock. The engine had had a valve job at 250k or so. The transmission had never been worked on and never leaked a bit. During the time I had it, it had (2) clutches installed.

When sold, it could still scratch off some rubber going into second gear. I never considered the MT-5 to be under powered. It did as well as a 3.0L automatic.

The handling was exceptional, with the light 2.5L engine up front. Also, the steering is faster on an MT-5 than a GL.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 2.3L/2.5L 4-cylinder coupled to a 5-speed trans, from my experience (22 years driving Tauruses and Tempos), is the most durable, trouble free engine/trans combos that Ford sold since the mid 1980's, imho.

Attached is a photo of the MT-5 a few months before I sold it. Replacement parts for the emission controls were getting hard to find, though there may be better sources today. At the time it was sold, it had over 300k on the clock. The engine had had a valve job at 250k or so. The transmission had never been worked on and never leaked a bit. During the time I had it, it had (2) clutches installed.

When sold, it could still scratch off some rubber going into second gear. I never considered the MT-5 to be under powered. It did as well as a 3.0L automatic.

The handling was exceptional, with the light 2.5L engine up front. Also, the steering is faster on an MT-5 than a GL.
First white MT5 I've seen, and it looks NEARLY identical to a SHO. The '89 SHO had a grille rest the grille panel sat upon; this one doesn't, and this is how you can tell it is an MT5.

I actually like the monochrome windows better than a non-monochrome MT5 like this. This guy at one point had three (3) MT5s, including a wagon! Some people love rare Taurii...

Photo credit goes to a TCCA owner.

As you can see the car looks like a GL but it is indeed an MT5, based on the label on the door. And it's more obvi when you look inside the car ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts