Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a 2003 taurus, and the windshield whiper blades are already worn out.. it has been like that since under 10,000 miles... i would of expected at least 2 years out of them... I do understand that Ford wont warranty any part that would fail under normal wear and tear such as tires, etc...so the questoin is if i ask them to replace them, will they? I have a few other minor things i can get fixed too while im there.. soo just curious if ill get a runaround about this.

·
Registered
887 Posts
hmm...ripped to shreds after 10K?....do you use use that ice melter windshield washer spray? the reason I ask is that ice does a good job of nicking up the blades...

As for getting Ford to replace them, I sort of doubt it. If you end up buying new blades, I've been really happy with the Bosch Microedge Excel blades. They wipe extremely cleanly, but I tend to replace them between 1 year and 1 and 1/2 years. I am, however, very picky about how thoroughly the blades wipe, so when I consider it time for replacement, they may still be perfectly good...

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/WiperBla...MicroEdgeExcel/

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think two years might be asking too much. The recommended interval is usually 6 months but most people don't change them until they are completely worn out.

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/WiperBlades/

Honestly I don't think the dealer will replace them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
P.S. I wasn't suggesting the ice melter fluid, I was just wondering if you used it, in combination with the wiper blades, to do what a good old plastic scraper does...I put nicks in my blades by missing a little bit of ice when I scraped the window and then running the wipers...

Oh yeah, they were a brand new set of $36 blades, so.... :homer:

G

·
If it's a good dealership, they might replace them for free, but probably not. I just got a nice set of Anco winter blades at autozone for like $8/each. That's what I always use for winter and they work great. I also use the de-icer stuff to get rid of ice. :)

.... I REALLY hate winter. :(

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by CincySES@Oct 14 2004, 09:24 PM
P.S. I wasn't suggesting the ice melter fluid, I was just wondering if you used it, in combination with the wiper blades, to do what a good old plastic scraper does...I put nicks in my blades by missing a little bit of ice when I scraped the window and then running the wipers...

Oh yeah, they were a brand new set of $36 blades, so.... :homer:
No, i dont use the deicer junk.. just fluid thats rated down to like negative 40 below..and i still have problems with it freezing on my windsheild on contact inthe winter :(

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by red92gl@Oct 14 2004, 08:57 PM
I think two years might be asking too much. The recommended interval is usually 6 months but most people don't change them until they are completely worn out.

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/WiperBlades/

Honestly I don't think the dealer will replace them.
Bleh, i want them to last 2 years lol on my grand am, they lasted 3 years. So i dont think its asking too much :-/

But, if they dont put new ones on, ill go with the best ones i can buy...

G

·
I LOVE the Rain X washer fluid - it has deicer in it and works great... it's like re-applying Rain X everytime you use it, too - so dirt and stuff just slides right off. Plus it makes it easier to wash the window, bugs wipe right off. B) I only use it in the winter though because it's kind of expensive and isn't really worth it unless it's icy/snowy IMO. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wonder how long my wipers will last. By the certification label, it was manufactured in October 2003, then promptly sat at my dealer until last week when I bought it...so they haven't been used, but they have been out in the elements.

For the record, they work great now, and seem to be of a nice, heavy, all-steel construction. Well, except for the blades, they're rubber.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I use the Rain-X stuff and Bosch blades. They work great together. Also, recommended replacement is 6 months, depending on how much you use them. I think asking even a year in the north is asking WAY too much.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
...and they won't warranty the windshield because you scratched it with the dead wiper blades......

Out here most people replace their wiper blades 2 times a year - each time it rains.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 15 2004, 12:32 PM
I use the Rain-X stuff and Bosch blades. They work great together. Also, recommended replacement is 6 months, depending on how much you use them. I think asking even a year in the north is asking WAY too much.

JR
Yeah, i am beginning to see that...i just dont get why the ones on my grand am worked great for 3 years..whereas these just fall apart in 1 year *sigh* they dont build things like they used to

1 - 14 of 14 Posts