Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep after 2 years of comfortability, my esp warranty just expired. Since i'm still paying $230/month for another 3 years i'm screwed lol :ford:

What do you think I should do:

A. Trade her in around my bday (negative side grr)

B. Sell on CL to get more my value

C. Renew the esp for another 2 years (most say it ain't even worth it)

D. Suck it up and let the mechanic suck me dry.

I just wish she can hold out til I pay her off, then she can break down many time ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recall back in 99 we bought a 94 Explorer, long story short was the biggest mistake we made (payments+thousands in repairs). Just trying to learn my mistake after we bought my SEL in 07. Sorry it doesn't make sense I just got off work late after getting the grocery store setup for those bigwigs (today). Maybe it'll help if I stop modding and keep a sharp eye on anything lol.

Oh and I would learn better if I live up North closer to ya'll. There isn't much members down in Tampa FL with a Gen3/4 Duratec :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of a warranty. You don't have a first model year car, you keep up on maintenance, etc. How mechanically inclined are you?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty much very inclined but I do know how to replace easy basic stuff like changing bulbs (especially the cluster), top fluids, air and cabin filters, wipers, switch out the PS fluid etc.

Just major engine, tranny and suspension work I don't know but thanks to everyone here I chose the rights stuff and learned a bit. It be funny if I jumped to something on this oversize Duratec :)

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
?? I don't understand this post. Who cares about the ESP warranty? Learn to do repairs yourself and you'll be golden. Besides, no warranty will uphold themselves if you mod the car.
[/b]
I voided mine back in 2005 when I added the transmission cooler.

Suspension is seen as wear item, right?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I recall back in 99 we bought a 94 Explorer, long story short was the biggest mistake we made (payments+thousands in repairs). Just trying to learn my mistake after we bought my SEL in 07. Sorry it doesn't make sense I just got off work late after getting the grocery store setup for those bigwigs (today). Maybe it'll help if I stop modding and keep a sharp eye on anything lol.

Oh and I would learn better if I live up North closer to ya'll. There isn't much members down in Tampa FL with a Gen3/4 Duratec :)
[/b]
Do not compare a Taurus to a 90's Explorer. We had one for ~2 years, then everything went. Power locks, Power windows, Transmission, Torque Converter, Starter, etc. I would never buy one again.

But the taurus on the other hand, as long as you keep up on fluids and regular maint. like plugs and oil and stuff, you can have it for 200k+ miles problem free.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm pretty much very inclined but I do know how to replace easy basic stuff like changing bulbs (especially the cluster), top fluids, air and cabin filters, wipers, switch out the PS fluid etc.

Just major engine, tranny and suspension work I don't know but thanks to everyone here I chose the rights stuff and learned a bit. It be funny if I jumped to something on this oversize Duratec :)
[/b]
I bet you'll be fine for awhile man. Do as much as you can on your own or with help from friends/TCCA. If a job is beyond your ability, then bite the bullet and let a reputable shop do the job. Use the savings from doing your own work, and apply it towards the bigger jobs :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Honestly, having just traded in a pretty low miles, nicely modded, very clean 03' SES Sport, trading in your car isn't going to get you squat, and if you went five years on payments (like I did), you're likely backwards in payments.

Forget about the warranty and drive it until it's paid off, unless you're willing to absorb the amount you're backwards in a new car loan.

JR

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinda think of it after shedding $$ for KYB struts, springs, SFB's and shop installation I don't think it'll hurt at all much. Long as I cut back on modding, taking trips etc i'll live lol.

btw JR how much they offered for the 03 Sport or how negative the trade? That's one beautiful black stallion there. Maybe I'll trade up after payoff for a new/slightly used Mustang with the new Boss 5.0 you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Again, this thread is built on an assumption that your car has been unreliable... If you haven't had any problems with it, then why do you think you are going to have a billion problems? My car is 10 years old and it drives like it's brand new...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
F uck a car payment on a 7 year old car.

Bust your ass and get a second job,pay it off.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
?? I don't understand this post. Who cares about the ESP warranty? Learn to do repairs yourself and you'll be golden. Besides, no warranty will uphold themselves if you mod the car.
[/b]
I voided mine back in 2005 when I added the transmission cooler.

Suspension is seen as wear item, right?
[/b][/quote]
breaking is covered by esp.

F uck a car payment on a 7 year old car.

Bust your ass and get a second job,pay it off.

Mike
B)
[/b]
i just wish my house was paid off. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Second job? I'm lucky to even have my current job lol.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
ive been thinking about getting rid of mine once its out of warrenty in the summer. but sadly that means i wouldnt be able to afford to move out.
unlike others, mine has been unreliable. and already had a great deal of stuff replaced, including 2 tranmission rebuilds. but not having payments would be nice again, and if something breaks ill just fix it like ive always done with my 95.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Kinda think of it after shedding $$ for KYB struts, springs, SFB's and shop installation I don't think it'll hurt at all much. Long as I cut back on modding, taking trips etc i'll live lol.

btw JR how much they offered for the 03 Sport or how negative the trade? That's one beautiful black stallion there. Maybe I'll trade up after payoff for a new/slightly used Mustang with the new Boss 5.0 you mentioned.
[/b]
They were only willing to give me $3900 for the Sport, with 58k miles. Hell, the thing had $1000 worth of suspension in it, alone!

JR

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
They were only willing to give me $3900 for the Sport, with 58k miles. Hell, the thing had $1000 worth of suspension in it, alone!

JR
[/b][/quote]

You will never get your money out of mods unless it is to someone that knows what is going on.
Usually a dealer will deduct for mods.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What you do when buying a car from a dealer is neg the price of the car, then neg the price of the trade in, if they want your business they'll listen to reason, if not somone else will. My bull is past it's warranty, but I'm not scared about it, it seems to be pretty reliable. I'm more worried about my 401k than my car, at least the parts are cheap, retirement is not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts