Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on the Ford Owner site and checked for updates for Sync b/c I bought the late Nav SD card and wanted to make sure everything was up to date on my 2013 Taurus SEL. So, I followed the prompts, downloaded the files to USB and successfully updated Sync. Everything seemed fine except I noticed the 911 Assist was no longer showing up. I called a Ford Customer Service and was told “I’m sorry, but this version of Sync doesn’t support 911 Assist.” This is insane to me to think Ford feels it’s acceptable to advertise this software upgrade, which shows the features the update includes, but absolutely no mention of removing a very important SAFETY feature! To me, this is a legal breach, as the 911 assist is a critical feature to get emergency assistance if I and my children are in a wreck! My guess (and I hope I’m wrong), is that Ford is doing this to phase out the free 911 assist so they can monetize it the same way as GMC does with OnStar.

If that turns out to be the case, I think we should consider a class action suit. If a car came standard with a safety feature, it should not be removable in the course of ownership, or even monetized later in the course of ownership. At the very least, current owners should be grandfathered. Especially considering 911 Assist was sold as a free feature, which influences buying decision making.

Am I off base here? Or, do you guys see it the way I do? Ford better correct this with a patch ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had 3.10 in my old taurus. I could have sworn it had e911 assist. When I spun it into a pole I remember the sync voice telling me e911 was disabled (I did not have a phone paired).

After upgrading, did you re-pair your phone?

If you have used forscan to enable 'nav in motion' you may have lost e911 because you changed your country code.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi COMpulse - I repaired my phone, and e911 assist was no longer showing up in the menu on the sync system, and when I called Ford Customer Service, they said it wasn't included in this update. Are you sure you had V3.10? I'd really like to have this feature, and I would hope Ford wouldn't just remove it without warning it would be removed with V3.10.. I honestly don't know what "forscan" is but I see people post a lot about it. Can someone educate me on Forscan?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone else is missing 911 assist after updating to version V3.10 on Sync 2 MFT, let me know. I bought an eBay A10 Nav card so I’m wondering if the 911 assist works through the Nav SD card and maybe it doesn’t have it? The Nav seems to work great, and the SD card looks to be official OEM but maybe it’s the problem and not the Sync V3.10?? Idk....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Michaelt62! At least that should tell me Ford didn't remove 911 assist in V3.10, if you still have it... I'm not sure why mine disappeared, unless the new A10 Nav SD card removes it. I would think the 911 Assist is a feature ran by the APIM and software, not the SD card, but I can't understand why this happened.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are pic's of the update files I used back in May/2019 showing the file names & sizes. I know I tried 4 or 5 times to download this update from Ford's website unsuccessfully until I tried with my 2nd computer(not sure if the problem was on my end or their web site). Even today I used both computers and could not log into my SYNC account.
Compare your files to mine, maybe something happened during the download or Ford may have changed the download from the original. You could try using the download I have and see if it will overwrite the one you have(Maybe someone on here with more SYNC experience can chime in to say it will work).

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm troubled that the Ford representative told you it was unsupported. Given that mine is working, I have no intention to upgrade for fear I would lose functionality and get the same response if I called.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got 3.10 on both my 2014 Fusion and my 2014 Escape and 911 Assist is on, the only time I've head of it becoming unavailable was when Forscan was used to disable the Navigation in motion lockout.
It can also be manually disabled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are pic's of the update files I used back in May/2019 showing the file names & sizes. I know I tried 4 or 5 times to download this update from Ford's website unsuccessfully until I tried with my 2nd computer(not sure if the problem was on my end or their web site). Even today I used both computers and could not log into my SYNC account.
Compare your files to mine, maybe something happened during the download or Ford may have changed the download from the original. You could try using the download I have and see if it will overwrite the one you have(Maybe someone on here with more SYNC experience can chime in to say it will work).
Michaelt62 - thanks again for your help! This looks like my files, and I did get the "success" screen at the end. I'm not sure what's up. It was with the dealer the past two days, and their tech can't even figure this out. He said it "took an update", but it's exactly the same V3.10 version. No 911 Assist anywhere, and there is a APIM module DTC: ""B1215: External Memory Card" so you'd think a new Nav card would straight this out, but no dice. The dealer gave me a "new" A7 (not sure how it's new being V7, but ok), but that hasn't corrected the DTC or made the 911 Assist reappear.

Ford is certainly working to take care of me though. After the 3rd call into Sync Service and unsuccessful repair attempts, I was given a Ford Code to give the dealer to handle this for me. But, they are stumped also.....

So I took the advice of getting FORScan. Glad I did - tried it for the first time last night, and it's empowering to be able to see DTCs, etc. Thanks to Admiral and all for that help, you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got 3.10 on both my 2014 Fusion and my 2014 Escape and 911 Assist is on, the only time I've head of it becoming unavailable was when Forscan was used to disable the Navigation in motion lockout.
It can also be manually disabled.
Thanks. 911 Assist was enabled when I looked in FORScan. I don't recall if the "Navigation in Motion" was on or off... I'd have to check that. The only variable I changed in hopes it would work, was:
7D0-01-01XXXX-X*XX-XXZZ

It was on "1" which equals EU, which I assume is European Union. I changed it to "0" for US. It didn't help though...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm troubled that the Ford representative told you it was unsupported. Given that mine is working, I have no intention to upgrade for fear I would lose functionality and get the same response if I called.
Agreed. By the way, the Tech on the phone the next day said the opposite, that software upgrades "only enhance, but never removes features." So,...there's that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
By the way, the Tech on the phone the next day said the opposite, that software upgrades "only enhance, but never removes features." So,...there's that.
Yea, like he would actually know that.

Anyhow, something that comes to mind: this update is among other things for greater BT phone compatibility. Now, speaking as a programmer greater compatibility in software may well enough mean: "we've introduced some new bugs" or "things that worked one way before, work completely different now and your stuff may no longer work as it used to because we're counting on some new parameters".

So that would be my first stab in the dark. 911 is provided via the phone and it is entirely possible that in your particular case the phone is not reporting flag(s) MFT is expecting and it turns 911 Assist off. I know that thru subsequent Android updates my MFT phone book or messages sometimes work and then they don't. Pair a different phone: all's well. If possible, see if you can pair another phone. If 911 Assist reappears, well there's your answer. I only say this because others are reporting that 911 is still there. I'm actually about to do this update myself so I'll follow up in a day or two.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changing phones (and deleted my other primary), didn’t work. In FORScan, the Navigation in Motion first 4 digits = 5553. Curious if that’s what you guys have? Country code = US. Putting in “0000” causes the country code to disappear and didn’t bring back 911 Assist, so I put it back to 5553...

still no 911 assist to be found... any other ideas for me?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just put the update in: 911 still works. I did have to re-pair the phone and the compulady informed me 911 Assist was off, but I turned the option ON and it is there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for letting me know, Dundun. That confirms there is something wrong with mine. Ford customer care called today, and said that the “911 Assist application” will need added back into my sync software separately using IDS at the dealership. That appt is Weds. fingers crossed.. if that doesn’t work, does anyone know how to go back to v3.8? It worked fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts