Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I’m looking to buy a 1999 Taurus that seems to be in great shape. Low miles – under 100k, body and interior in great shape. New tires and extra clean. HOWEVER, there is one major issue – the heater is not working! The lines going in and out of the heater core are hot so it must be something to do with the switch or routing system under the dash.

I know that car heaters can be next to impossible to fix and extremely costly to have done – maybe more than the car is worth.

I would appreciate any advice I can get from those of you who are knowledgeable about the Taurus and this issue.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought of something. Is the blend door on this car vacuum controlled or electric motor controlled? Is the blend door located under the passenger dash?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Blend Door

Just thought of something. Is the blend door on this car vacuum controlled or electric motor controlled? Is the blend door located under the passenger dash?

Thanks.
Blend door is electric, there are threads about it here.

Not all that bad to access if manual A/C. Though the glove box.

If ATC (automatic climate control) bit more difficult to access, and the blend door motor is different. ATC can self diag. it's issues. Info in threads on this post. Manual A/C is easy as it is just a slave motor.

Pic of blend door motor for ATC, manual looks the same except for what is inside as electronics.

-chart-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Chartmaker. Sounds like it might not be all so bad. It is manual control. The air stays cold all the time even when the temperature control knob is turned to the (red) hot side. The AC compressor cycles on and off when the control switch is moved - so it must not be the switch.

I'll buy the car and tackle the issue.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
As chart stated above, temp. is elec. controlled via the blend door actuator motor. Easiest access on a 99 with manual controls is to slide out radio (football) with ford din keys (ford radio removal tools available at parts stores and/or walmart for <$5). Vent selection is vac. controlled. Do you hear any clicking or thumping under the dash when you rotate the temp. control knob with key in the on position? Your manual blend door actuator will be white in color unless its been replaced with an aftermarket one. If so, it will probably be black.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
would make a great summer car if you cant figure it out. then get a pos truck for the winter with no air and good heat. more then likely its the blend door. not to bad of a fix. easier the doin a tune up

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Both heater lines the same temp, I would suspect clogged heater core. I changed my own heater core on a G3 Vulcan in under 2 hours the first time I did one, there is an awesome well documented shortcut for it. You CAN have heat, no matter what it takes, a new core is $70 and your time. Blend door motor change is easy, and you DON'T have to pull the dash to do a heater core.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts