Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a thermostat housing for a Sable LS premium 3.0 dohc. After searching my local pull-it yard, I wasn't able to find one that has the sensor port. Lots of housings without the port, in a wide variety of cars I didn't expect to find it in. This is a dealer only part and I'm going to have difficulty describing it to the other salvage yards that remove parts for you. I searched car-part.com, and came up empty. For the time being, I'm considering getting creative with what I have to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There's 5 water ports and one sensor port.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the same part. I need 5 water ports and one sensor port. I'm going to try to rebuild the broken nut area with a spacer and a longer screw. The water jacket part hasn't been compromised, so I'm hoping this'll work. Next option is to try drill-able steel putty and rebuild the area.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Have you tried ebay with the Ford p/n ? Lots of parts with photos.

The parts yards should be able to get the right part based on the VIN of your car using the interchange system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried ebay with the Ford p/n ? Lots of parts with photos.

The parts yards should be able to get the right part based on the VIN of your car using the interchange system.
I've looked at them both. Amazon doesn't list it and ebay only lists Ford direct dealers. As I look back at my original post, I see I didn't list the part number, so here it is: 3f1z-8a586-cf.
My local self service parts yard posts regular updates as to their new arrivals. I'll keep watching that.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
Common at JY, likely '01 and '03 are the same. Pic from local but not in a position to go and pull and mail. Wife is in hospital for a few days.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE!

Through patience, a trip to Ace hardware, and masterful dremel skills, I was able to make my housing work. Since the water jacket hadn't been compromised, i had a thought that this might work. I cleaned the oem bolts and brass nuts with a tap and dye set, (don't want them to lock up again). I used a 6m x1.00 30 bolt, (matches the oem bolts, just longer), 6m lock washer, two 1/4 washers for reinforcement, and the 1/4x3/8x1/2 spacer,(id,od,length). Had to cut down the spacer to fit height wise, but the diameter is the same as the brass nuts so it fit in that spot perfectly. After 100 miles of in town and freeway driving I have no leaks and no temp issues. This won't stop me from looking for a different part. I'll just have a backup, or 2, or seven, cause this part is stupidly expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Common at JY, likely '01 and '03 are the same. Pic from local but not in a position to go and pull and mail. Wife is in hospital for a few days.

-chart-
Take your time. I have a functional one for now, and will still look for another one. I'd rather have one that isn't cobbled together. I saw an earlier (few years back) of someone else needing this part and got lucky and found one in a 24 valve Taurus at the jy.
Good luck to you and your wife. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts