Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

My 1995 Sable LTS has major engine probs and the transmission is weird, too.

I plan to replace the engine/transmission/subframe assy with the guts from my totalled Taurus, and I am in need of some advice as to what I ought to do to prepare the Taurus guts for long, reliable service in the Sable.

Info on Taurus guts:

1994 3.8/AX4S, 125K mi, subframe and all guts sitting on a skid B)

Issues included rod knock on startup (going away after a minute), fuel pump shutoff after sustained hot-weather driving, trans fluid leakage from broken fitting.

Other than that, the car worked well and performed well. I do not think that the engine or transmission have any real issues.

I need advice on good things to do to the engine and ATX to prepare for a few years (at least 60K) of trouble-free service in the Sable. Any thoughts?

So far I am considering the following:

1. Replace oil pump
2. Replace all top-end gaskets
3. Check crankshaft and replace rod bearings
4. Trans upkeep, i.e. solenoids and valve body (necessary? any items to replace internally?)
5. Replace all suspension bushings including strut bearings

I am open to comments and/or criticism! :hmm:

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
So basically yours saying you want to put the engine and tranny from the 94 taurus 3.8 into your 95 Sable 3.8. Should be a real simple swap since the 94 and 95 use exactly the same thing. Just disconnect everything from the 95's engine and tranny and lift. Then disconnect everything from the 94, lift engine/tranny together, and put in 95 and reconnect everything. It should all be the same harnesses and whatnot. No need to swap subframe.

I recently swapped a 3.8 from an 1988 taurus that was swapped from a 94 taurus. In that swap I had to change a lot of things like waterpump, wire harness, intake manifold, and tranny (AX4S to AXOD). I also had to rewire the alternator and starter from a gen2 for that to work. Then when I put it into a 91 sable, had to change waterpump and use the 91 intake and tranny (AXOD-E)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this will be a straightforward swap.

My question has more to do with how best to prepare the engine/transmission/suspension for another 60-100K of troublefree service in the new car.

WIth the guts sitting on the subframe on the garage floor at my dad's house, I can do what I want to it pretty easily.

Should I change the oil pump?

Top end gaskets?

Inner Tie Rod ends?

Any tranny valve body or internal work?

How can I make the draivetrain reliable?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.