Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my usual shopping at Walmart and found they make a copy of my key (chip programed) for $50. Has anyone done this? You also think that JY has a bunch of keyfobs laying around cause mine died even if I changed the battery. Thanks

·
Banned
375 Posts
what do u mean chip programed?

are you talking about a blank coded that you have that you want to use to be cut.

Cause if thats the case daveromanjr and i have both gotten blank coded keys and got them cut for free at lowes.

And ya i've taken i would say like 3 or 4 from a junk yard around here, you can find em but still a bit hard to find

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They actually have blank keys provided.

·
Banned
375 Posts
You can buy the keys cheaper on ebay and get them cut for free.

Thats what we did, 50 bucks seems way too high.

Plus its walmart they never cut keys correctly. ugh :glare:

*edit*
I just looked now and you can get a transponder key for about 22 with shipping.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wal-Mart does NOT cut (and program) keys with the PATS chip in it, at least they shouldn't be doing it unless they've got a licensed locksmith with the proper tools. Typically, the key cutting machine at Wal-Mart is an Axxess Plus key cutter, which has no ability to program a key with the PATS chip.

Any Wal-Mart with the Axxess key cutter who cuts or duplicates a PATS key runs the risk of severely damaging the key or vehicle's ignition system.

I know this because A.) I work for Wal-Mart and B.) the Hillman Group (makers of the Axxess key duplication system Wal-Mart uses) expressly forbids the duplication of PATS-encrypted keys.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well maybe i'll check with a locksmith, Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts

[/b]

Before you blame Wal-Mart, place the plame on the individual who cut the keys (likely they never followed the correct and proper procedure in which to duplicate a key to begin with), or the Axxess system (which is highly flawed in its own right).

You also should consider taking the key back to Wal-Mart and request a recut.

I've cut hundreds of keys and I usually have a 90-percent success rate. I always guarantee they work, and I back up my claim that if it doesn't within the first try, they have the option (as per Wal-Mart's 90-day return/exchange policy) to return the key and exchange it for a new one.

·
Banned
375 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Before you blame Wal-Mart, place the plame on the individual who cut the keys (likely they never followed the correct and proper procedure in which to duplicate a key to begin with), or the Axxess system (which is highly flawed in its own right).

You also should consider taking the key back to Wal-Mart and request a recut.

I've cut hundreds of keys and I usually have a 90-percent success rate. I always guarantee they work, and I back up my claim that if it doesn't within the first try, they have the option (as per Wal-Mart's 90-day return/exchange policy) to return the key and exchange it for a new one.
[/b][/quote]

Woah woah woah, I'm only saying walmart cause my family and i have gotten our regular keys cut and had to take them back numerous times, with different people cutting them, i'm almost positive we had to take one key cutting back like 4 times till it finally semi worked and if its cut in Walmart and me being a consumer i can for sure blame the company its my opinion and its their key cutting system in the building. And my reasoning for saying maybe not Walmart to get a PATS key cut is pretty much cause its a one time shot, and considering you said walmart does not cut PATS keys then there shouldn't be an issue.

But i'm not here to thread jack this, i only said cause of experience.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Wal-Mart does NOT cut (and program) keys with the PATS chip in it, at least they shouldn't be doing it unless they've got a licensed locksmith with the proper tools. Typically, the key cutting machine at Wal-Mart is an Axxess Plus key cutter, which has no ability to program a key with the PATS chip.

Any Wal-Mart with the Axxess key cutter who cuts or duplicates a PATS key runs the risk of severely damaging the key or vehicle's ignition system.

I know this because A.) I work for Wal-Mart and B.) the Hillman Group (makers of the Axxess key duplication system Wal-Mart uses) expressly forbids the duplication of PATS-encrypted keys.
[/b]
the key machine and programmer are often two different machines.
they insert the original key into a programming box then the machine tells the guy
to insert the duplicate key. you do not need a locksmith to do this.
i know the hardware store near me does it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
the key machine and programmer are often two different machines.
they insert the original key into a programming box then the machine tells the guy
to insert the duplicate key. you do not need a locksmith to do this.
i know the hardware store near me does it.
[/b][/quote]

My Ford stealership does it for $100 :rolleyes2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts