Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 qts of Mobil synthetic ATF left from previous job. I went to Walmart to buy more but came back with multi-vehicle ATF (synthetic + conventional blend). Label reads it meets Mercon V, Dextron III, ATF+4. It is the only kind I could find on the shelf. Has any adverse effect been reported about this oil?

By the way, I have leftover ATF+4 (Chrysler). Can I use it for power steering?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (paker @ Apr 23 2009, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720096
I have 5 qts of Mobil synthetic ATF left from previous job. I went to Walmart to buy more but came back with multi-vehicle ATF (synthetic + conventional blend). Label reads it meets Mercon V, Dextron III, ATF+4. It is the only kind I could find on the shelf. Has any adverse effect been reported about this oil?

By the way, I have leftover ATF+4 (Chrysler). Can I use it for power steering?[/b]
The ATF+4 is a NO NO in our cars. As for multi-vehicle ATF, I doubt it could be MERCON, MERCON V, DEXRON DEXRON III, AND Chrysler Spec. I know that MERCON and DEXRON are interchangable. But AFAIK ATF+4 isnt.

DO NOT USE ATF+4 in our PS pumps and our transmissions.

It would really help if you could list the name of the company.. I could look up the compatibility easily.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You can only use Mercon and Mercon V specified fluids for the tranny and power steering.

I would get the fluids that only list Mercon/Dextron III or Mervon V

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (paker @ Apr 23 2009, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720096

By the way, I have leftover ATF+4 (Chrysler). Can I use it for power steering?[/b]

QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Apr 24 2009, 02:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720150
You can only use Mercon and Mercon V specified fluids for the tranny and power steering.

I would get the fluids that only list Mercon/Dextron III or Mervon V[/b]
I agree, don't use the "multi-vehicle" type, unless it's a full synthetic like Mobil 1 ATF. The multi-vehicle ATF may not have enough friction additives that our transmissions require, causing a failure. I would go get more Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, our fragile transmissions seem to do better with full synthetic ATF. The Walmarts here now have Mobil 1 ATF in stock, for around $6.50 per qt. The "multi-vehicle" ATF you bought can be used as power steering fluid, though, but not the ATF+4, give that to a Mopar owner instead.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If it says Mercon V you can use it

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Apr 24 2009, 03:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720150

I would get the fluids that only list Mercon/Dextron III or Mervon V[/b]
afiak for anything higher then G2, its a must for Mercon V, not even Mercon/DexronIII will cut it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts