Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all it is is a 3" to a 6" floor drain cap with the the face removed and the threads grinded and sanded then i filled the open end with bondo sanded and painted
and it bolts right were the factory box would go

let me know what you all think

G

·
looks good, i just bought the k&N panel filter and removed the silencer, it sounds decent!

I didn't want to bother with the cone filter I dont know why lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the drain cap was $22 and the filter was around 30 and i had a little bondo laying around

hey the tube runing the filter that goes down some were below the batery for stock air is still in there what have ppl done with this?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Jul 22 2004, 06:32 AM
well the drain cap was $22 and the filter was around 30 and i had a little bondo laying around

The MAF Adapter from Draxas is $20.00 plus shipping.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Usually you can just remove that tube. If you're feeling even more adventurous, you can get some more piping to run the filter into the fender well through the same hole the original tube fed. This will give you a CAI as opposed the the short HAI you have now.

And Kudos to you for a great do-it-yourself project.

-Dan

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i know about the cold air but i have really bad winters and bad roads that would splash up in there for sure i will put a heat sheild in there some time but for now it is fine

ya i know i could order one around the same price and all but id rather do it myself... to see some thing and just make one yourself just cause you can

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've had my filter in the fender for over 4 years with no problems. A couple pieces of plastic to shield the filter from water is all it takes.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Jul 22 2004, 12:23 PM
ya i know about the cold air but i have really bad winters and bad roads that would splash up in there for sure i will put a heat sheild in there some time but for now it is fine

ya i know i could order one around the same price and all but id rather do it myself... to see some thing and just make one yourself just cause you can
Oh, i understand where you are coming from about the winters...

most people don't realize what a "real winter" is... i wont risk trashing my engine for an extra hp :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I live 100 miles south of Chicago out in no mans land. Busting through snow drifts are a common means of getting home or driving on salt spray Interstates. You really only need a couple of pieces of plastic to shield the air filter. Much better than actually spending money to put a cone filter under the hood and decreasing you car's performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts