Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear window grid in the rear glass is ng. It's easy enough to remove the securing bolt at the top left, however, the right side one keeps spinning with a socket on the 11 mm nut.

It "appears" I have to use a vice grip on the center shaft to prevent it from turning or will preventing the large gray nut [against the glass] from turning, enable removing the 11 mm nut?

I presume this bolt is attached to the hinge - T or F? If so, if I keep unscrewing it, will it separate from the hinge?

What's the procedure to remove the wiper shaft? I have the workshop manual, but the shaft is very tight.

I used a multimeter = current flow through both clips, but none at grid.

When looking at the defrost grid with the sun shinning on it, only 4 lines each about 1' long [in lower left area] are much brighter [gold vs black] than the others. The window originally had a heavy tinting on it. I'm afraid I damaged the grid when I vigorously cleaned it with windex and denatured alcohol.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m going from memory but the round head against the glass on the outside contains a female Torx head. You insert a Torx wrench in it to hold the shaft I believe. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Spock

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I answered my own questions - posted here for someone else who might need the info.

Hinge on driver's side uses a torx on inside of glass. I had bought about removing the hinge from the body, but was unable to get a 1/4" drive deep well socket to line up with the nut in the body. Same on passenger side. Must be a special Ford tool :(

Removing wiper motor
Passenger side the securing nut was very tight on its mounting bolt. I got the nut closest to glass to stop turning with a players having a 90º turn at end.

Wipeer motor shaft has plastic cup on outside. Pop it off and remove nut. There's a plastic nut inside of glass. Gently wiggle motor to release from glass. Obviously u have to R&R the washer hose with a gentle wiggle & pull.

Hopefully the defrost grid works well enough on this replacement glass to defog it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
BobWeir
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing