Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little review on these pads. On my 03 it had low end Napa pads on it when I first got it with some pedal pulsation. I put new Napa Premium rotors on it as they factory ones did not have enough left to turn. That cured the pulsation but the brakes had a course feel on a hard stop and some squeal with stopping. Backing compound did not fix the squeal.

This weekend I put on a pair of Thermoquiets and hit the rotors with some 120 grit. I used compound them , lubed the contact points and bedded them in as well.

I really like the pedal feel now. No more roughness on a hard stop and no more squeal. Very happy with these pads so far. Good price on Amazon QC598 as well.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
The thermoquiets are my go-to on my vehicles for sure.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thermos are what I've used for about a decade now (various vehicles), can't say a bad thing about them at all.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use them myself. At around 5k and they arent bad. I dont notice any difference in stopping power but they are quiet and the feels good. I did try their shoes and wasnt the most impressed since i had adjuster issues and they were grindy. Its off topic but i recomend if anyone ever needs to do the drums just pay for a dealership job so you never have to do it again.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Wagner Thermoquiet Pads made in USA for same or less then the junk that
some places are selling made in India or other foreign country.

I won't use any other brand and got rebates for the pads from Amazon.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive got 90k miles on my current set....cant say enough good things about them. This set probably has another 50k left in them.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
QC (and PD) is their 'ceramic' line. ThermoQuiet can be found in 'MX' (semi-metallic) variant too and those are not so great performers (still OK for everyday use).

For my personal driving style, I switched from ceramics to carbon-metallic (from performancefiction because Wagner didn't have any at that time). Now, even Wagner has a 'SX' line of those (they call them SevereDuty).

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just took the car on a 2 hr drive in the mountains with some passes and some high speed braking. Brakes felt great!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I use the ceramic ones. Very good resistance to heat. One day I tried to bed them in until they started to kind of smoke, and they still stopped well.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought, I would follow up on the pads. They developed a squeal the last month or so which seemed kinda odd. I pulled everything apart and found one caliper pin was stiff and needed a cleaning and relube. I am not sure how that happened. I also found that the backing compound on the brakes did not have it bonded to the caliper anymore. I sanded off the old and redid the backing compound and all is back to normal with brakes that work great.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
TQ ceramic are my choice.
Low dust and actually can get 50k miles out of them on wife's car. She has a heavy brake foot so for me the extra 10k mile life with the TQ's are worth it.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
TQ ceramic are my choice.
Low dust and actually can get 50k miles out of them on wife's car. She has a heavy brake foot so for me the extra 10k mile life with the TQ's are worth it.
Here is one good reason to inpect and not use cheap pads. I put these on '01 which was well down the road and I planned to sell it in the future. I inspected these prior to putting it up for sale. All 4 sets on this car in various stages of pad/backing separation. I will never wear out the pads on the Lin or my wagon. Easy driving. My '03 sedan my daughter drives it about 13K per year, lives on a hill, uphill to the main road, downhill for a mile. Then 8 stop lights to work, and it is on a steep hill. Fall inspection by me showed pads about half useful life, 59K on them. I taught her careful braking. Off the gas early, brake straight and off the brakes before turning. She learned well. ;)

My larger issue is rust. Not necessarily a rust belt thing, cars sit outside and rain/fog rusts them up overnight. I barely drive enough to keep the rust scraped off.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well this brake combo is about done. I am now at the point where the brakes have some pulsation with a couple of hard applications from high speed but are totally fine other then that. I did not check my service records but probably around 30k or so on the setup. I might turn the rotors and carry on but I am leaning towards different rotors and pads. My Impala also had this issue but only with mountain driving. It would go away with a little normal driving. The factory solution for this is police semi-metalic pads with the police dust sheilds that are essentially no dust sheilds. I did this on the Impala and it fixed the issue. On my mind as I decide what to do on the Taurus.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads and they have been great for the past 100,000 miles on the front. I do mostly highway driving however.

SUP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts