Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that this may be because of my VSS, but I really cannot understand this one because I think it's just a loose cable.

Makes for a funny video though, I figured you guys (and gals) can answer the question that I ask towards the end, in my thick, New York accent LOL.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYAlIv2G3g0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYAlIv2G3g0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BTW, there is also a weird spinning sound like something is loose that I should have recorded, but the song was so much better haha.

I should also note that since this video was taken, the speedometer has become completely useless above speeds of what I assume are 45mph. Say that I'm going 65, it may hover there for a second, then go past the 85 and bounce a lot, swing back to 45, then back to the 85 area, then 65 again for a second, repeat, etc...

I was hoping to tackle all of this together when I install my new cluster w/ tach.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Christopher Walken?

The weird spinning sound is either your speedometer or speedometer cable going bad.

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Second on the cable. I went through the same thing, although mine didn't wobble that badly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The speedometer on my 95 SHO did that at one point (but not nearly that bad). A third on that speedo cable.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it just loose and needs to be popped back on, or does a new unit need to be installed?

I can see where it attaches to the back of the speedometer because I have one laying around on my dresser waiting to be installed.

I hope the actual speedometer is ok, because I didn't want to install the new one, just the new cluster to keep the mileage the same.

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
It's possible that it could be loose. Check where the speedometer connects at the head and in the engine bay. Otherwise the cable will have to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my bronco 2 does the same thing untill you get th about 40 then it stops and works fine. my dad said that he has done this in the past, take the cluster out and drive the car at the speed where it bounces most and put graphite lubricant into the cable and see if it gets better i need to do this yet but i am going to wait till after the 302 goes in

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I know exactly what that sound you are refering to sounds like... It is the speed cable and I never bothered having mine fixed while I had the car (never had any problem with whacky speedometre though)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts