Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 se with a vulcan motor I just got a 1999 3.0L duratec motor and wanted to swap them. I was wondering if anyone has done this???????? and if someone has could you tell me what mods you had to make to get it to work
Thanks

G

·
Well, the only thing I can tell you is that you'll need a new ECM with the right program for the Duratec - and I'm not sure, but you might need a new wiring harness...

I commend your efforts if you're actually going to attempt this! I believe you are probably the first one to do this swap. :thumb:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I applaud your desire to do this. I've heard a lot of times that it just isn't worth the time or money. But, since you've already got an engine, you're already a step ahead of the game! You'll need a new wiring harness, ECM, and I'm not 100% sure about the Gen IV models, but you'll need to have the same transmission that the factory couples with the 'tech (if you've got a tranny that is designed for the type of output from the Vulcan, you'll surely screw up your tranny big time with the power from the 'tech).
Example: Back to the Gen 3's, the Vulcans game coupled 90% of the time with the AX4S tranny, which, everyone knows, is a piece of crap and definently not designed to handle the higher power output of the 'tech. That's why the Duratech (and SHO) Taurus came with the AX4N tranny (good tranny).
If you're looking to throw that Duratech under the hood, make sure you got the right tranny for the job!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!
First of all, ro new here and sorry my english, im very bad in english writing.
Im from europe and im making a same swap, from vulcan to duratec.
I have a new duratec motor with AX4N, PCM and engine wiring harness. I was wondering, do i need a underdash wires also and this little box on the top of the left foot where all the wires go?
Its very difficult to get those underdash wires if i will need them, especially from here.
Anyway, i have a extra engine wiring harness for duratec, if somebody need it, then let me know and we can make a deal!

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The engine wiring harnesses are different; you will have to swap them out. The Duratech has sensors that the Vulcan doesn't have, for example the knock sensor. The in-cabin wires should be the same.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
First off, welcome to the club! :banana: :chili:

Ive done simmilar work and know a decent amount about both motors...more the duratec thoe.

tell us more about the motor you have? do you have an ECU...or wire harness?

Do you have a tranny? From what ive been told, the bolt patterns are diffrent. Anyone confirm this?

If you need any help, please let me know. Also I have a bunch of duratec parts that youll need for the swap, such has the hoses, overflow tank, ECU, Tranny, etc.

Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 2003 engine with 2000 miles,with y-pipe and AX4N tranny and engine wiring harness and EEC-V or PCM i don't know how you call it (thing what in the fenderwall). I know what i need for sure: overflow tank, powersteering fluid reservoir.
So, what else i need?
I guess that driveshafts are different between AXOD and AX4N, if yes then i need also a left driveshaft or what you think??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1999 Ford Taurus with a Vulcan that has a cracked cylinder. So I'm hoping to be able to swap it with the Duratec engine + tranny out of my 99 Sable parts car. Just wondering what modifications I may have to make if any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts