Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at different threads in regards to the larger duratec throttle body on the vulcan, but it doesn't fit. I was wondering if I could simply swap out the vulcan manifold for the duratec manifold in order to get the throttle body to fit. Would the duratec manifold fit the engine block?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does it fit right off? No. Could it be made to fit? Anything is possible with enough money, but after all that money wasted to fabricate some kind of adapter plate, the intake charge and it's velocity in the runners would be completely ruined by the adapter plate and you could of just paid someone like BBK to make you a custom throttle body.

Duratec uses two types of intake ports, depending on the year of the engine. The first was split-port, one large circular runner, one small circular runner feeding one intake port. Later on, Ford merged them into a single oval-shaped runner which had more volume.

The throttle body is not a restriction in the Vulcan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thats good to know. I read somewhere that having the larger TB really opened up the power in the midrange. If that isn't the restriction, what would some of the main ones be? I know the exhaust system is a big one but I'm not sure of any others.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I've been looking at different threads in regards to the larger duratec throttle body on the vulcan, but it doesn't fit. I was wondering if I could simply swap out the vulcan manifold for the duratec manifold in order to get the throttle body to fit. Would the duratec manifold fit the engine block?
You would need to fabricate an adaptor plate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does it fit right off? No. Could it be made to fit? Anything is possible with enough money, but after all that money wasted to fabricate some kind of adapter plate, the intake charge and it's velocity in the runners would be completely ruined by the adapter plate and you could of just paid someone like BBK to make you a custom throttle body.

Duratec uses two types of intake ports, depending on the year of the engine. The first was split-port, one large circular runner, one small circular runner feeding one intake port. Later on, Ford merged them into a single oval-shaped runner which had more volume.

The throttle body is not a restriction in the Vulcan.
My plate cost me $7 in aluminum and a coffee to a machinist friend. Trust me when I say the the difference between composite UIM & 50mm TB to 60mm TB with adapter was night and day.

Alright thats good to know. I read somewhere that having the larger TB really opened up the power in the midrange. If that isn't the restriction, what would some of the main ones be? I know the exhaust system is a big one but I'm not sure of any others.
Vulcan: Exhaust valves, exhaust ports.

I don't know what the '00 has, but in '99 they had a 2" system, and in '01 they had a 2.25" system, both of which are capable of supporting the 'tec's 200hp, so aren't a restriction. High flow mufflers are nice for sound, will help a little until you get more supporting mods in place.

Read FFVulcanPowah's thread on the 60mm TB fitment. It just needs a spacer, basically, to seal to the '01 composite UIM. The '00 has the same intake, but in aluminum.

The 'tec and vulcan are two completely different animals, don't expect anything to bolt up to anything from the other except in rare, fluke exceptions (throttle body).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Throttle body

I have a 2000 with vulcan. No mods with 111,000 miles and turning 30mph between 4500-8500 ft elevation. No need to waste money on a mod that will not change the whimpy exhaust out. I just keep the filters and sensors clean. Good luck if you seek acceleration and not just gaining speed.
Be well, Downhill~~~~:lol2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plate cost me $7 in aluminum and a coffee to a machinist friend. Trust me when I say the the difference between composite UIM & 50mm TB to 60mm TB with adapter was night and day.
Now thats what I was looking for ^. The only thing I found difficult about that was the fact that it requires a 1" thick slab of aluminum which I may not have access to. The rest would be a piece of cake if I got the measurements.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used a TB off a 2000 3.8 split port on my 96 vulcan. I used a nylon cutting board from walmart to make a blended adapter plate for it. smooth transition from the big bore TB to the small bore intake.
my throttle response is amazing. i cut the throttle linkage plate of my stock TB and cut the linkage on the split port TB and welded my old linkage holder on to it, so i could use my stock throttle and cruise controll cables. works like a dream, but i run a tad lean at WOT. any way to fix the lean condition at WOT without changing the injectors? i really dont wanna pull my upper intake if i dont have to. is there a higher pressure fuel regulator that will cross fit? maybe off a 3.8 or a tec?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't want to pop anyone's bubbles, but.. this "improved throttle response" whether actual or just perceived, is it the larger throttle body or the spacer used to mount the TB?

At some point in our lives we all had a middle school science class in which we taped two soda bottles together, one filled with water to make a "tornado bottle", it did not matter the size of the bottle, the neck limited the amount of fluid transfer to the lower bottle.

So from that, what point is there in putting on a larger diameter throttle body when the point of entry into the intake manifold remains unchanged and the original throttle body was the same inside diameter as the intake throat? Without a compressing force you will not "ram" more air into the engine.

When the intake valve closes it creates a scavenging wave, in the same way it does for the exhaust in header design, depending on the length and diameter of the runners, plenum size and location of throttle body, determines the actual effectiveness of this wave. This is why I mention the spacer as the "cause" for the "improved throttle response".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't want to pop anyone's bubbles, but.. this "improved throttle response" whether actual or just perceived, is it the larger throttle body or the spacer used to mount the TB?

At some point in our lives we all had a middle school science class in which we taped two soda bottles together, one filled with water to make a "tornado bottle", it did not matter the size of the bottle, the neck limited the amount of fluid transfer to the lower bottle.

So from that, what point is there in putting on a larger diameter throttle body when the point of entry into the intake manifold remains unchanged and the original throttle body was the same inside diameter as the intake throat? Without a compressing force you will not "ram" more air into the engine.

When the intake valve closes it creates a scavenging wave, in the same way it does for the exhaust in header design, depending on the length and diameter of the runners, plenum size and location of throttle body, determines the actual effectiveness of this wave. This is why I mention the spacer as the "cause" for the "improved throttle response".
The stock TB is 50mm, the opening in the manifold is 54mm. Therefore, you get 54mm over 50mm, the TB is the restriction. Plus, it's not an open bore, you have the turbulence of the plate and the shaft. If you move to a 60mm TB, you have less efficiency than 60mm of straight open tube. This way, you maximize the effectiveness of the 54mm opening going to the runners. The increased throttle response is that you let more air in per throttle position than you did in the smaller TB, because you're removing more metal from the path of airflow per degree. If you're quoting gradeschool science, I shouldn't have to go further indepth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Intrepid, that sounds like a fantastic project. Would you happen to have any pictures of what you did?

Fordman, in addition to what zuljin said, the spacer only allows the 60mm TB to be opened fully, as the 54mm manifold would hold it back a little.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I used a TB off a 2000 3.8 split port on my 96 vulcan. I used a nylon cutting board from walmart to make a blended adapter plate for it. smooth transition from the big bore TB to the small bore intake.
my throttle response is amazing. i cut the throttle linkage plate of my stock TB and cut the linkage on the split port TB and welded my old linkage holder on to it, so i could use my stock throttle and cruise controll cables. works like a dream, but i run a tad lean at WOT. any way to fix the lean condition at WOT without changing the injectors? i really dont wanna pull my upper intake if i dont have to. is there a higher pressure fuel regulator that will cross fit? maybe off a 3.8 or a tec?
How do you know you are running lean?

I believe the motors all run at similar pressures. Also 89-95 and 96+ have very different fuel systems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ill try to get some pics i ahvent figured out how to get them from my phone to pc yet. im throwin a lean code and with the cats cut out it should smell rich and doesnt. it runs fine but its started to develop some idle problems. prolly cause of the lean condition.... and ive done an egr delet, but will prolly reinstall that today. but aside from taht any ideas on enriching the mix? maybe larger injectors? if so what engine should i snag them from? my MAF being ported doesnt help witht he lean thing lol. thanks for the input and ill try to get the pics posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
as far as the coke bottle analogy, last i checked there was a smooth transition between the two. if the transition had been square it would have flown less. its the reason that your better built intakes have trumpets on the runners. goin with the bigger tb and blending down to the smaller diameter has the effect of removing the rough ariflow of the 90 angle gut into the face ot the intake. that issue was mentioned in an earlier post. check out venturi design. theres a reason the are radiused at teh openings. also read "scientific approach to intake and exhaust systems design" ive got the third edition copy. black book with red and white writing on the covor. excelent reading.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
ill try to get some pics i ahvent figured out how to get them from my phone to pc yet. im throwin a lean code and with the cats cut out it should smell rich and doesnt. it runs fine but its started to develop some idle problems. prolly cause of the lean condition.... and ive done an egr delet, but will prolly reinstall that today. but aside from taht any ideas on enriching the mix? maybe larger injectors? if so what engine should i snag them from? my MAF being ported doesnt help witht he lean thing lol. thanks for the input and ill try to get the pics posted.
You can get larger injectors but you need a tuner for the car to know what it has.

Don't port the MAF.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can get larger injectors but you need a tuner for the car to know what it has.

Don't port the MAF.
+1

Your ported MAF is your problem. You'll need a stock one back in, or get a dyno tune to trial-and-error the new curve you've created.

·
Registered
72 Posts
well it ran great and well withinin usable and safe parameters according to my twEECer RT. had no issue till i installed the bigger tb. any here goes with my photo bucket.
throttlebodyspacer.jpg picture by streetking9735 - Photobucket in this one you can see the nylon walmart cutting board TB spacer lol. i used the TB gaskets from the stock TB and teh split port 3.8 TB. to do this i cut a piece of cutting board big enough to work, sanded both sides smooth to a 800 grit finish.traced the stock TB gasket and cut the opening and bolt holes but not the idle air bypass. i used a die grinder to cut a groove around the outside of the TB hole and inside of the bolt holes. flip the spacer over and trace the opening for the bigger TB. used a router to bevel cut from the smaller diameter to the larger diameter. basically blended from the big hole to the little hole. cut the opening to the idle bypass all the way through on the bottom. it opens into the groove so the idle air enters the bottom of the spacer goes around the groove to the idle air bypass on the top of the intake. so now you can mount the bigger tb "upside down" so the TP sensor and throttle cables are on the correct sides for the vulcan. remember to use the throttle position sensor from the 3.8 split port or wi will not work. i went through 4 TP sensors for the vulcan before i figured that out. they are made slightly different. my car wouldnt even crank with vulcan TP sensors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
in this pic you can see the throttle cable bracket adapter i cut to weld my stock throttle cable bracket to. its pretty simple. just cut the tab and weld the vulcan bracket to it. measure correctly or you will have to do some trimming and more welding. throtlebodybracket.jpg picture by streetking9735 - Photobucket if you dont screw up like i did you wont need to cut or "adjust" the vulcans throttle cable bracket at all to make it work. just weld the end of it to the bracket you made. and make sure to get the angle of the vulcans bracket correct before welding. another oversight i suffered and ended up making a mod to my cruise controll cable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts