Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, last night while driving to philly, i noticed high whining noise before tranny was shifting. whinning was also present while accelerating. Man, Ford must really love me to give me their one and only Supercharged Vulcan. Wow, boy don't i feel great. Seriously what the heck is the matter now?

2000+ dollars in repairs on a 50 dollar car and counting.......

sorry to go off like that dudes....just having a bad day!

ftv

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That was the sound of your bank account draining.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jan 14 2004, 10:31 AM
That was the sound of your bank account draining.
seriously, do you mean the vulcan is about to give out?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Nah... the Vulcan is strong. My first thought would be ATX, but that's not a pleasant thing to think about. Sometimes little things like that just go away and never return. Could be anything, though. Did you by any chance top off the coolant or washer fluid any time recently? Once, I left the cap off the coolant reservoir and it ended up making some funky noises as it rubbed against the serpentine belt.

Your best bet would be to check all fluids (oil, coolant, ATF, PS, etc.) and look for anything that might be rubbing on the belts or other moving parts. I even had a tree branch stuck to the splash guard under the radiator once that had me convinced I had FUBARed my car somehow.

Are you losing any power or is the engine idling rough or anything? Could even be a vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jan 14 2004, 11:00 AM
Nah... the Vulcan is strong. My first thought would be ATX, but that's not a pleasant thing to think about. Sometimes little things like that just go away and never return. Could be anything, though. Did you by any chance top off the coolant or washer fluid any time recently? Once, I left the cap off the coolant reservoir and it ended up making some funky noises as it rubbed against the serpentine belt.

Your best bet would be to check all fluids (oil, coolant, ATF, PS, etc.) and look for anything that might be rubbing on the belts or other moving parts. I even had a tree branch stuck to the splash guard under the radiator once that had me convinced I had FUBARed my car somehow.

Are you losing any power or is the engine idling rough or anything? Could even be a vacuum leak.
i just dumped too much oil in recently...but that is all i can think off. oh i did put a lot of fuel cleaning stuff in it
ohoh....maybe something to do with that?
*shrug*

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by fordtaurusvulcan@Jan 14 2004, 11:19 AM
Are you losing any power or is the engine idling rough or anything?  Could even be a vacuum leak
Yeah there is a high pitched whistling noise....like WHISTLING (that is the word
)
so it might be that then...so i definitely will check where the vacuum leak is. By the way where is this vacuum assembly kit?

Oh, no power lose detected. power is good.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Jan 14 2004, 02:48 PM
Is it A REALY high pitched whisling noise? that lasts for about 1-2 seconds at a time? My car does this everynow and then. Never been able to figure out what it is... But there is no power loss.
Probably your alternator,a bearing inside of it or something.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Say you are parked, does it wine more if you turn the wheel a lil bit? You could have air in your PS lines, or the PS resovior is low.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Jan 14 2004, 02:48 PM
Is it A REALY high pitched whisling noise? that lasts for about 1-2 seconds at a time? My car does this everynow and then. Never been able to figure out what it is... But there is no power loss.
Yes, it is really high pitched. Several passengers complained that it is annoying them. so it is very high pitched. I got used to it. One of friends told me it was the vacuum lines of intake leak.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Jan 14 2004, 04:21 PM
Say you are parked, does it wine more if you turn the wheel a lil bit?  You could have air in your PS lines, or the PS resovior is low.
actually no it doesn't make the whinning noise when i park and turn steering wheel.

it makes the whining noise when i accelerate and while shifting gears from 1 to 2nd gear.

This is an Automatic vehicle.

PS fluid level is fine and the fluid seems to be ok at the moment.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My Explorer actually had a whistling sound that was very loud...turned out to be the weather stripping had dried out because of the very cold weather. Crack the window slightly and problem solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts