Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have noticed recently that my 97 sable with the Vulcan is making a very loud squeaking noise from Idle to about 1200rpm. seems to be coming from the Bank 1 Valve cover.

took a video of the noise, it goes away above 1200-ish rpm. and it doesnt always make the noise, but more often than not, it does.

car just rolled over 42k miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belt idler pulley/tensioner?
sound isnt even remotely close to the pullies, that is what i originally thought until i heard where it came from

·
Registered
701 Posts
Upon reexamination of the evidence, I have to agree. I admit I wasn't watching the video the first time I played it. Definitely a conundrum.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Are you sure the camera isn't just fooling us into thinking its away from the pulleys?

Sounds like a bad alternator bearing, or maybe the tensioner pully? If its not coming from the belt drive system not much else it could be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay save for the tranny (Which i don't think it is)

To the OP, do you think the sound is louder away from the pullies or does it get more directed from the drivers side by the tranny?

·
Registered
541 Posts
maybe you could remove your serpentine belt and run the engine a few seconds without it just to see if the noise is alternator/pulley related. If the noise stops then your 1 step closer to finding the culprit if not then youv'e ruled out belt related issues.good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the sound is not even close to the pullies. sounds just like it does in the video.

sounds close to the throttle body area.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Get the Motorcraft Camshaft synchronizer. Not the Dorman. Well that is unless you like to replace it every couple thousand miles. It costs more but you won't have to replace it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
went and picked up a refurbished Motorcraft Synchro and sensor combo.

gonna put that in tomorrow.

appreciate all the help guys, i counted out the Cam synchro because i assumed it was near the front of the engine like my mustang's Essex 3.8 motor.

i need to stop assuming things...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had rough idle and cricket noise, so today I have changed Camshaft Synchronizer with sensor and oil pressure sensor. l still have damned flickering low oil pressure light at low RPM or idle after aggressive driving. But idle is a lot smoother and car seems to be more responsive to the loud pedal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts