Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a drive this afternoon to test out my car for the first time in awhile. Whenever I could.. I gave it almost WOT. It's kind of weird though.. When I would step on the gas, it seems like the engine hesitates before it starts doing anything. Its very slow through 1500rpm-3500rpm, and thats with the gas pedal down not quite to WOT. And then after 3500 it just seems to rev up to 5000 or so just to make noise.. there's nothing to be gained from this.

Is this how all Vulcans are? Basically what I'm saying here is that when I step on the gas, from a stop or even when going along at 45mph or so, it takes a few seconds before the engine really kicks in and starts accelerating like you would expect it to.

I was just wondering.. I also found out that my tires must be $35 dollar Walmart specials or something.. heh. They screech even when making easy turns at 15 mph.

I also had a '95 or so Crown Vic blow past me.. heh. It sounded pretty mean. I was just trying to accelerate quickly to the speed limit.. and here comes this Crown Vic beside me for a second before its gone. I'm really kicking myself here for not knowing more about Tauruses before I bought mine a year ago.. I would've found one with a Duratec instead. I'm not trying to bash the Vulcan or anything here.. I'd just like to know if they're all like I explained here.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Probably all the Vulcan are like that, I guess because mine does it when it was bone stock. But since I bought it I've done a few performance and I think it became quicker than when it used to be before. Remember these car have not been made for racing purposes and they just have 140 hp. When someone has a 4 door car they want to try out something new always. I guarantee you if you take car and do a few performance mods then it will faster. I'll probably will buy a tec soon so I can play with it. I've seen a few tec with every possible option loaded and they sell them here cheap. I will be glad to have to Sables.

Frank

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by sable97@Aug 23 2004, 07:48 PM
Probably all the Vulcan are like that, I guess because mine does it when it was bone stock. But since I bought it I've done a few performance and I think it became quicker than when it used to be before. Remember these car have not been made for racing purposes and they just have 140 hp. When someone has a 4 door car they want to try out something new always. I guarantee you if you take car and do a few performance mods then it will faster. I'll probably will buy a tec soon so I can play with it. I've seen a few tec with every possible option loaded and they sell them here cheap. I will be glad to have to Sables.

Frank
Yeah.. I actually don't race at all anyway. Every once in awhile I just like to give it a bit more gas than usual.. until I hit the speed limit. I don't want any kind of ticket so I rarely go more than the speed limit.. Heh, I'm broke enough without having to worry about those.

I actually noticed it when I would be behind someone going say.. 55 in a 65 and I want to pass them. I would step on the gas and start to pass but it takes a few seconds before it starts accelerating. Its like a dead zone in the gas pedal.. nothing happens in the middle.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Yeah I know that happen when I bought my car I kinda felt the same too. But at that time I didn't think of that because I didn't like to race the Sable. I noticed now if you even press the accelerator pedal to the floor it will not go faster but after a few seconds it does start to kick in lol ... weird. I guess that doesn't happen with a tec. Probably not because I saw my friend tec and it was damn fast stock next the Vulcan. Probably the Vulcan will wake with Alberto's chip ( pretty sure ) and it will shift better.

Frank

G

·
You may want to try unhooking the battery to clear the computer, and then bring it out for a few WOT runs. The computer learns how you drive, and it may be stuck in grampa mode.

Other than that, it's a 145 HP engine in a 3300 lb car. Ain't too much exciting stuff happening there.... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Aug 24 2004, 12:08 AM
You may want to try unhooking the battery to clear the computer, and then bring it out for a few WOT runs. The computer learns how you drive, and it may be stuck in grampa mode.

Other than that, it's a 145 HP engine in a 3300 lb car. Ain't too much exciting stuff happening there.... :)
Hmm, maybe. Heh.. I'm usually in "grampa" mode the majority of the time. I usually dont get over 2500 rpm before it shifts. Every once in awhile though.. I get it up there to 5000.. I guess its just a waste of gas though, heh. Doesn't sound too good either. Ah well, it gets me around town without any problems. Thats what I bought it for in the first place

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
My car does that sometimes.. But only when it's warm out. It'll have to think about it for a bit, wind up, and then let lose. But when it's relatively cool out, it'll get up and just go. Remember, Vulcans weren't made to haul ass, they were made to get you to were you're going. Thus making it the entry level engine :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by mapleleafs@Aug 23 2004, 11:06 PM
tires must be $35 dollar Walmart specials

They screech even when making easy turns at 15 mph.
Them's the best kind of tires. Guaranteed to clear the streets as you drive through. :chili:

·
Registered
167 Posts
i don't think it is slow at all. maybe you don't know how to take max out of engine. mine revvs pretty well when I want it to do so. When not, it is easy to make it stick in 4th.

G

·
Originally posted by Postmortem@Aug 25 2004, 11:18 PM
i don't think it is slow at all. maybe you  don't know how to take max out of engine. mine revvs pretty well when I want it to do so. When not, it is easy to make it stick in 4th.
:withstupid:

I love my vulcan. It's definitely not a performance engine, by any means, but I think mine feels really peppy. :) It has enough torque that even driving in country hilly areas, it doesn't have to downshift when going uphills, although if I want to take the road fast and whatnot I'll drop it out of O/D anyways...

·
Registered
235 Posts
My best friend who drives an underpowered Escalade loves to ride with me because he says my car is a hell of a lot faster than his hulking luxury SUV, so hey it could be worse. By the way having ridden and driven his Escalade before I don't think they are worth the money. No power and the ride isn't as good as it should be for 60 grand.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The Vulcan isn't fast, but it is much more torquey off the line than your average car. If it feels hesistant, something is up.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i would love to have a tec, but the vulcan isn't all that bad. you just need to learn how to get that baby to shift for you :)

as for the hesitation, honestly, it's not going to be instant because of the way the computer hesitates. but i've found that if i do a double-tap on the gas will actually get it to respond a lot quicker. i don't know how, really, but i swear it does. if i had a video camera that could monitor the tach and my foot, you'd see.

as for performance, i'd take it over a new accord...i ride in my coworker's '03 all the time, and we both agree mine can get up and move a lot quicker. actually, most people say that when they ride in my car, partially from my agressive driving (MOVE, B!**H! GET OUT TEH WAY! :D)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Mu 134 K vulcan also does the same..

Its like this.. here I am driving in grand pa mode like 35 mph, and then I see a guy trying to make a left when he see a gap in the straight through traffic...

So to close the gap quick, I step on the gas... and.. for aa few seconds the vulcan doesn't even rev up.... :angryfire: then after a like 2 second pause... :( , the rpm raises...

I am thinking that the injector are clogged or the TPS is faulty (why no SES :( ) or vacuum leak??

Some pros pl. answer.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I usually dont just hit the gas. I'll "touch" it enough to get it to drop outta over drive then hit it to make it hit the passing gear. Works pretty good in most situations. Like to pass, ill play with the gas to keep it outta of over drive if i have to wait for a car to come the other way then when it does, put it down and it hits the lower gear pretty dang quick. So if theres the time, get it to drop down outta over drive then get it in passing gear. i know about this > -- < much about cars. But hey, my own simple explanation to myself, you put it to the floor, it has to go "Woah, wait a sec now, this is different. Whats he wanting to do....OH!" then it starts hauling. When i finagle it to get ready its more like "Hey now, the kids up to something. Better get ready *STANDBY*" and then its all ready. :whip:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Our cars have "adaptive" transaxles. It's a "use or lose" phenomenon. If you drive like a *****, your car will get sluggish on the shifts. Flog the crap out of it for a while, and it will pep back up and raise the shift points a bit. It's trying to adapt to the way you drive. Grandma doesn't want the engine screaming away at high rpms on her way to church. Joe Six-Pack does. The result is our compromised slushbox.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Aug 26 2004, 03:05 PM
Our cars have "adaptive" transaxles. It's a "use or lose" phenomenon. If you drive like a *****, your car will get sluggish on the shifts. Flog the crap out of it for a while, and it will pep back up and raise the shift points a bit. It's trying to adapt to the way you drive. Grandma doesn't want the engine screaming away at high rpms on her way to church. Joe Six-Pack does. The result is our compromised slushbox.
joe six-pack? ummm not around here! try joe kegger :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts