Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that the more threads I read on here , the more duratec problems I see. I have a feeling that the vulcan is much more durable. Having owned a few of them with almost no problems , am I right or just wishful thinking. even when I do get a problem and try to diagnose it, every google page I see is about duratecs.
Maybe they should have named the breakatek.

Whats your experience?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 24V DOHC Duratec V6 is a GREAT engine. I've had them in a few past cars (even my SHO is a Duratec) plus my sister and brother-in-law had and have this engine in a few cars, including their present 97 Taurus and past Taurus' and one Freestyle (Taurus-X). Never a problem with any of our Duratec's. Matter of fact, I keep trying to buy my sisters 97 Taurus LX Wagon, but she won't sell it to me. When I asked why, she replied "well you told me that the engine was bulletproof, so why get rid of it". (It has about 110k miles on it right now).

·
Registered
797 Posts
Both good engines

I own a Duratec and have worked on both engines. I have also been reading this board and similar for a number of years and I agree with your observations. There are more issues discussed about the Duratec.

Both are very good engines but the Duratec is a bit more sophisticated(complicated), more moving parts, and it takes up a bit more space in the engine compartment. These in part makes it harder to work on and allows for more things to go wrong. There are some design features that make it a bit less reliable and harder to work on. Like a burried alternator, thermostate, some of the tubes/hoses and the rear bank spark plugs.

In return for that you get a more powerfull and smoother engine.

The Vulcan is a more mature engine with much higher production numbers. Thus, more experience and time is behind it.

It is much easier to work on and around. It has less power but I don't hear too many complaints about it being too under powered. Also, gas milage is a bit better.

As far as true reliability data. Consumer reports is the only thing I can thing of you can reference. I doubt Ford would disclose anything like that.

It would be good to hear a Ford tech weigh in. After all, they work on these cars every day. They would know better than anyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts