Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced several of these
it seems they push out over time
i replaced mine a couple years ago with a blue felpro and it has pushed out under the timing cover

anyone ever glue or use silicone to keep them from moving?

is leaving the gasket out altogether something that can/should be done?

anyone else have these problems?

i don't know what to believe anymore:huh:

·
Registered
22,431 Posts
I had a shop years ago change the oil pan gasket on a 95 vulcan. They removed the gasket and just used orange rtv (no gasket). No problems for years until the youngest son totaled the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All I can say is to make sure you are using a quality gasket, and torque the bolts properly. You can use RTV if you like, but i wouldn't. If you have to take the pan off again after several years it creates a pain in the butt

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
RTV caused my gasket to push out lol, I too have the Blue Fel-pro gasket. The key here is to use a Torque wrench and tighten the bolts to the proper torque spec. That way the gasket doesn't squish out on you, I was over tightening mine.

BTW - I concider Fel-pro gaskets one of the best and are just as good as the OE Ford one. My father used NOTHING but Fel-pro all of his life, I trust my dad ;)

Troy.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have only used the Blue Fel-pro gasket, Had I known that they had this one I would have used it. It looks great!

Troy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you take your vehicle to an oil-change place: Some years back I worked at one. While many of these places (the "10-minute quick-lube" type) only bother to drain "most" of your oil while they are wiping off your old oil filter so it looks like they actually put a new one on, the place I worked at at least tried to do what the customer was paying for. I say tried because the owner felt that each team of two employees should be able to do at minimum six full-service oil changes per hour regardless of the condition of the vehicle or type (ever try to do a complete oil & filter change, check/fill front diff, rear diff, transfer case on a mud-covered truck that hasn't had the respective plugs out in a decade, check all lights/belts/hoses, replace failed light bulbs, etc. in ten minutes?) - and that was before he cut his employees by 2/3 and sent the second member of each oil-change team to the back to work on other things. But, still, we tried to do the right thing as much as possible. One day I heard the guy in the other lane tell a customer, "I noticed some oil on your oil pan so I snugged all the bolts on it real good." So it is possible that you did everything correctly on the gasket but a well-meaning(?) idiot later over-torqued all the bolts because he saw oil - oil that may not have even leaked from the pan in the first place, lol, because it all ends up on the pan (or points south) eventually anyway due to gravity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
bobbug
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing