Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil today, I always do my own. I know I put exactly 4.5 qts in the case last time. Only a little more than 2.5 qts came out today (yes, that includes the oil in the filter). I realize an amount of consumption in 5000 miles is ok, but that's too much. The normal bit of dampness on the oil pan is there, I wouldn't call it a leak, no leaks anywhere. And I've never noticed any smoke out the pipe. The pcv is a little oily, but still rattles well, I think I'll replace that anyway even though the damn electrically heated pcv is kinda pricey in comparison to the others.

I am an out of work tech, always been with ford, but never had anyone come in with this concern. So I'm wondering, has anyone here ever had this problem and found the solution? If there is a common problem with this that I'm not aware about, I'd like to check that before tearing this thing apart. Which btw, won't happen anytime soon... I'd rather attack something encountered by someone else and not waste time and money.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've read about oil consumption issues with...dare I say Toyotas and Nissans. The issue is sticking oil control rings. Turns out if it burns at a low enough rate and under load the catylitic converter can burn it enough that you won't see smoke. Eventually the cat is toast, but it takes a while. If you see black soot on the bumper and in the exhaust pipe it is likely this is happening.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I home change my '02 Vulcan oil abt every 3000 mi. It is always down abt a half qt or so. If I ran it to 5000 as you do, it may be down as low as you say. I have 95K on the odo. If I had serious concerns I would add a bit of STP type solution to the oil change and see how she does. Certainly wouldn't start cracking anything open on the engine.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I have noticed also I use about .5-1 quart between oil changes at 5K. Very normal and healthy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Willyum - The oil change interval recommended by Ford is 5000 miles. I use full synthetic which allows 7500 bt changes. But I still don't go more than 4-5k. So being down half a quart in 3k seems to be a bit much.

Azu - being down .5 qt after 5k I would think is ok, but I'm down 2quarts. That's an issue to me. I don't know exactly how long I go bt oil changes, I just don't let it go more than 5k.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mine always uses about 1 qt every 5k, since 25k. The gen 2 I had also used the same amount between changes, it also had the Vulcan engine. It's normal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
QUOTE (austex04 @ May 30 2010, 06:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807964
Mine always uses about 1 qt every 5k, since 25k. The gen 2 I had also used the same amount between changes, it also had the Vulcan engine. It's normal.[/b]
Don't know about Vulcan, but I don't think 1 qt every 5k is normal for any engine. 1/4 qts may be OK, not 1 qt.

My 2000 'Tec hardly consumes any, and it has 157K on it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well thats not the Vulcan engine, thats why you don't see the oil consumption. I normally see around 0.5 qt of oil burning at 3k intervals

1 - 8 of 8 Posts