Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys doing for Vulcan intakes? Are there any aftermaket out there? Any mods / or tips?
Looking for mid to high end, unmodified engine. MUST remain stock apearing (for a bone stock circle track dirt car).

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
About the only thing you can do and keep it looking stock is a good ole' fashioned port and polish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humph.. Kinda what I was assuming. How about..."non stock appearing"?

A

·
0 Posts
Nope, port and polish, bigger maf, cone filter, and that's about it. Although, you could always p&p the lower intake manifold and the heads for some more stock looking things.

On a side not, I was first kinda saddened when I saw that taurus, but then I realized it was a gen3 and stopped caring
. Hey, at least they're good for something. What are you racing against?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Originally posted by Smola97GL+Feb 4 2004, 10:54 PM-->QUOTE (Smola97GL @ Feb 4 2004, 10:54 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Crazy_Brys_Auto
@Feb 4 2004, 10:17 PM
What are you guys doing for Vulcan intakes?  Are there any aftermaket out there?  Any mods / or tips?
Looking for mid to high end, unmodified engine.  MUST remain stock apearing (for a bone stock circle track dirt  car).
[/b]
The car in the pic rocks. What a cool race car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
if you do it yourself ... the cost of a dremel (or the like) and the bits... usually ~ $50.

SO figuge $30 - dremel, $50 - bits and a weekend

·
Registered
183 Posts
well since u dont really need a cold air intake for the derby. do this. take the stock airbox off. on the bottom side of it(the side u cant see when u open the hood) get a dremmel tool and cut a large rectangle then( if needed) take a screw or nut and bolt and secure the filter to the bottom of the box so it wont move when ur hittng other cars. less restricitve than stock. and it looks completely stock

·
Registered
208 Posts
Originally posted by JasonBVHS@Feb 6 2004, 01:32 PM
so when port and polishing all i do is go inside the UIM and remove the imperfections with the dremel?
gasket match it. Fords intakes are notorious for being smaller than the gaskets and smaller than the heads.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
when p&p-ing the uim, how far down the runners do you machine it? or do you just p&p towards the end of the runners to gasket match it? what about near where the throttle body meets the uim? machine that too?? thanks for the input.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well since u dont really need a cold air intake for the derby. do this. take the stock airbox off. on the bottom side of it(the side u cant see when u open the hood) get a dremmel tool and cut a large rectangle then( if needed) take a screw or nut and bolt and secure the filter to the bottom of the box so it wont move when ur hittng other cars. less restricitve than stock. and it looks completely stock

<_< Not a derby car. Just looks that way.
We run 1/4 mile dirt oval. (Feels like a derby some nights!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Those dirt track races look fun. I went to one once and there was a Gen X FWD race and a few older RWD races. But the finale was a demo derby and that the coolest thing ever!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bored the throttle body in my Aerostar to 55mm and made a new butterfly for it. After 1/2 shafting the throttle rod it came out real nice and works well too. It would probably pass a visual as long as they don't shine a light inside toooo deep.

For a good write up on what porting really is you should visit standard abrasives web site. They have one of the best write ups on how to do it by hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts