Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i ust put a new vss in my 97 and i still have no speedo and its still throwing a code for the vss. i looked at the wires that go to the vss and they look all burned up so i spliced in new wires in the section that was burned and hooked it up with no luck. So im wondeing where the wires from the vss go and if they could have shorted something out and if so what could it be?

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
Bad out of the box VSS? Stripped drive or driven VSS gear?

Poor mans way to test: Remove VSS and chuck into an electric drill. Pull connector off PCM, and find out which pins are VSS + and VSS - (too lazy to look them up myself). Attach a DMM set on a low AC Volts scale (or better yet an oscilloscope) to the pins, and spin up the VSS with the drill, and see if it produces voltage.

Correct way to test: If you have access to a real scan tool, you can monitor the VSS PID while driving to see what is going on.

BTW, I am assuming the odometer doesnt work either?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where is the pcm? and yes there is no speedo.
the driven gear is good, how would i check the drive gear?

Also, so there is no current traveling to the vss? the vss is what produces the power?
and the vss wires go to the pcm or ecm?

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
VSS is a mini electrical generator. It produces 8000 pulses per mile traveled.

PCM = ECM

Get a mirror and bright light and try to look in the VSS "hole" to get a look at the VSS drive gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VSS is a mini electrical generator. It produces 8000 pulses per mile traveled.

PCM = ECM

Get a mirror and bright light and try to look in the VSS "hole" to get a look at the VSS drive gear.
[/b]
cool thanks :thumb: , where is the pcm?

edit: i found the pcm.
could the problem be in the pcm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool thanks, i managed to get the gear out, and ordered a new one from ford. i just hope the gear down in the tranny will last a little longer as it looks to be in ok shape. Is there a way to replace the gear down in the trans that drives the speedo drive gear without pulling the whole thing apart?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts