Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 15 2007, 11:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496314
The link in the quote refers to this topic.

QUOTE (autostick @ Jun 14 2007, 06:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=495758
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 13 2007, 11:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=495338
Thanks so much, it is an AX4S. Saying that link might help was quite an understatement. It made it into a 10 minute part swap, instead of an all day hunt for the VSS. The Haynes manual is wrong as it says to jack up the car and pull it from underneath. For anyone else doing this it is an easy job through the hood:

1- reach in with the left hand while standing at the right fender. Feel for the VSS just below the #2 cylinder. It is on TOP of the transmission. You may need to pull back a heat shield.
2- Pull of the electrical connector. Remove the 10mm bolt with a box / open end combo wrench.
3- The VSS pulls straight out toward the driver's side.
4- The new VSS pushes straight in toward the passenger side. Bolt it. Plug it. Drive it.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Hello. We found the VSS, moved the heat sheild but the old VSS partially came out , broke...any tips on how we can get the rest out? Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
The picture posted by Quertz shows the VSS location on the AX4N tranny. You can see the one bolt that holds it down. My experience in changing it involved a combination of tips I read on this board. My biggest challenge was getting it out of the tranny after the connector and bolt were removed. This is a tough repair because of the tight access and difficulty seeing what you are doing. The shop manual tells you to drop the y pipes. There are several ways to approach this. This is what i did on the AX4N with a DOHC.

1. Remove the cowl and electrical connector on the fire wall to gain better access from the top.
2. From the top slide the rectangular heat shield up as high as you can with out damaging it.
3. From the top remove the connector. I have an electrical connector clip tool which helps make this a bit easier. A small flat blade screw driver can also help. It is retained by clips on opposite sides. Once it is removed stuff it up out of the way along with the heat shield.

4. Jack up the front passenger side and remove the wheel and wheel well shield.

5 From the wheel well, use a 6 pt. M10 deep socket and 3" extension to remove the one bolt holding it down. Feel around the motor mount and remove the one bolt. I would recommend a 1/4" drive or stubby 3/8" drive ratchet. This is done all by feel. It could be done from the top with similar tools. i.e. various extensions with a wobble or u-joint.. You don't need a deep socket but with the tools I had this was best for me.

6. The VSS was in very tight and I could not get a good enough grip on it to twist it or pull up on it.

7. Alternating from both underneath the car and from the wheel well I used a long flat blade screw driver and a hammer and tapped it back and forth at its base. I did this until It moved enough so that I could pry under the exposed shoulder. This took some time, patience and finesse. I have to give some credit to the penetrating oil. Once it was loosened I was able to reach down from the top and remove it. At one point I considered removing the O2 sensor so I could get my hand in there better from the bottom but it proved to be unnecessary.

8. Installation is the reverse order. I placed a fine film of tranny fluid on the o-ring to help with the assembly.

Having one (or two) good drop lights are important so you can see. Even though most of what you do is by feel. Having small hands also helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jan 10 2008, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=580363
Yes the V8 SHO has no VSS. It is all ABS.[/b]

Bummer..lol..no wonder I can't find the dam VSS on the trans. Y pipe off and everything!!!!!!!!!!!!
Car isn't wanting to shift out of 1st gear..Any ideas? The ABS light had been coming on and off now and then. I just put new ball joints, control arm, swaybar links etc on this 97. This is the 1st time it won't shift out of low. Prior to this, you could be driving down the road and it would act like it suddenly popped into neutral. Any ideas? 1997 V-8 SHO, 190K miles. I'm not getting any codes when I scan it.
Thanks
Greg

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Sounds like the ABS computer is fried. Not uncommon for the SHO. Any year SHO ABS computer can be used.

It is a major PITA to change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jan 13 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=779032
Sounds like the ABS computer is fried. Not uncommon for the SHO. Any year SHO ABS computer can be used.

It is a major PITA to change.[/b]
Thanks Paul..I don't think there are too many parts that aren't a big PIA to change on these. The power steering hose from the pump to the R&P unit was leaking up at the pump so I switched that out while the Y pipe was off.
Where is the ABS brain?
Greg

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
It's under the battery. The solenoid pack has the brake lines attached to it and the brain is on the front. It is attached with 5 torx screws. 4 small ones and on large on in the middle. I could not get the large one loose and broke off one of the small ones.

It is easiest to just change the whole thing. It's held to the frame from below with three 10mm bolts IIRC. Take the four output lines off. Then take the two input lines off and bend them up so as not to drain the MC.

Once the old is out and the new is in then take the car out on a gravel road and lock up the brakes several times at low speeds to kick in the ABS. Then if the pedal is soft bleed the brakes normally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jan 14 2010, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=779203
It's under the battery. The solenoid pack has the brake lines attached to it and the brain is on the front. It is attached with 5 torx screws. 4 small ones and on large on in the middle. I could not get the large one loose and broke off one of the small ones.

It is easiest to just change the whole thing. It's held to the frame from below with three 10mm bolts IIRC. Take the four output lines off. Then take the two input lines off and bend them up so as not to drain the MC.

Once the old is out and the new is in then take the car out on a gravel road and lock up the brakes several times at low speeds to kick in the ABS. Then if the pedal is soft bleed the brakes normally.[/b]

That's right, I remember seeing it now when I had the battery box out changing the water pump I believe. Is it a dealer item? I'm not finding the part online. What is the correct name for it? Thanks much.
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '98 Sable with a Vulcan and AX4N, what's the easiest way to reach the VSS?

All of the information I have found so far covers VSS replacement for Vulcan+AX4S or Duratec+AX4N but not Vulcan+AX4N.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just completed the VSS replacement on my 1999 3.0 Vulcan, with AX4S transmission. Thank you to all those who posted helpful advice here!
The symptoms I had were erratic, hard shifting (both up and down), especially between 1 & 2. Also, my speedo was acting up, and eventually not working at all and the check engine light came on.

I actually did most of the work from the driver's side. Used a 1/4" ratchet with a 2" or 3" " extension and a deepwell 10mm socket. I did work from the passenger side for removal and replacement of the connector. Removal of the sensor was a bit easier than the replacement. It was especially tricky getting the screw started. I eventually taped the socket to the extension, and lightly taped the screw into the socket (I was dreading losing the screw down there in the dark). I then started the screw without the ratchet attached, using it a little bit like a nut driver. I have long arms, and it was a stretch to reach in there. Pretty much laying on top of the engine to do the work. Hello lower back pain for the next couple of days!

If you can, I'd recommend removing the original and getting a ride to the parts store with your sample, as neither O'Reilly or Carquest seem to have the right part listed in their computers.

The only other advice I have is to have a really bright flashlight on hand, and then to spend a lot of time just "feeling around" to educate your senses (muscle memory) on the layout/ location of the thing, because you'll be working blind.

After I finished, the result was a working speedo, and much more refined shifting than I'd experienced before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would somebody happen to have numbers off of the 03 VSS? I have a replacement AX4N tranny that came without one and I can not find the correct one anywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone know what the voltage reading should be at the VSS plug? THe haynes manual says 1.5V but I am only seeing about 0.6V. THe speedo and radio are not working. Not sure if the haynes manual is correct or not.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm having trouble getting to mine on an AX4N Duratec (3.0) Sable. I've only got a pair of ramps, and can't even see the stupid VSS from under the car. Is there any way to do it from the top??

I mean I sort of know where it is from the quertz9586's picture, but it's just impossible to get to for me. If I can do it from the top, that would be so great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just wanted to take a moment and express my sincere gratitude to the people who contributed to this thread with the excellent advice. What began as a 97 G (Vulcan AX4S) that would shift erratically (including slamming violently into first gear when the VSS signal dropped out) turned into a smooth shifting, completely different vehicle after swapping out a $38 sensor.

I dreaded having to drop the exhaust, but it might allow me a chance to swap out the rear 02 sensors with some modified with sensor eliminators (old Mustang trick...turns the SES light off). However, with the instructions in this thread, I was able to turn a 4 hour job into a 20 minute job without dropping the exhaust, and get many other badly needed chores done around the house.

Thanks TCCA...this is a 5 star thread in my book. :wub:

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
On a gen 3 duratec (96-99), vss sits directly down below egr solenoid (evr) on the tranny under a foil open-ended box-like heat shield. This is on the pass. side between evr and firewall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having trouble finding the replacement part. I pulled it (I hope) from the car, but the one I got from PartSource is much larger and somewhat different than the one that was in the car.

This is what I pulled from the car: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10710787/vss_old.jpg

This is what they sold me: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10710787/vss_99.jpg

It's bigger and lacking the little bit sticking out at the end. The car is a 99 SE 3.0 OHV, according to the VIN, and everything online gives me the same part that I bought, which is plainly too big.

This is where I pulled it from: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10710787/vss_loc.jpg

Did I pull the wrong sensor? I think it's an AX4S, since it's mounted horizontally. Is the part different for the AX4N, and perhaps that's what they sold me? (though there is no other part listed on their website)

Edit: They gave me the sensor for the AX4N instead of the AX4S. I guess that's the issue. Unfortunately nobody here sells the output sensor for the AX4S. Grr.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.