Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The link in the quote refers to this topic.

<div class='quotemain'>
You have an AX4S. This might help:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6027
[/b]
Thanks so much, it is an AX4S. Saying that link might help was quite an understatement. It made it into a 10 minute part swap, instead of an all day hunt for the VSS. The Haynes manual is wrong as it says to jack up the car and pull it from underneath. For anyone else doing this it is an easy job through the hood:

1- reach in with the left hand while standing at the right fender. Feel for the VSS just below the #2 cylinder. It is on TOP of the transmission. You may need to pull back a heat shield.
2- Pull of the electrical connector. Remove the 10mm bolt with a box / open end combo wrench.
3- The VSS pulls straight out toward the driver's side.
4- The new VSS pushes straight in toward the passenger side. Bolt it. Plug it. Drive it.
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, for goodness sake, pay no attention to the factory service manual which wants you to pull the exhaust y-pipe and converters and go in from below. (Vulcan 3.0) I wasted a day starting this before realizing that you could indeed get to it from above. That being said, it is NOT easy to get to from above either, and you will need massage therapy afterwards. You can see what you are doing from the driver's side fender area with a drop light stuffed down by the sensor area, but just barely. It helps to have hands like a monkey.

On my 1993 3.0, I removed that plastic shield where the connectors for the EECIV and ABS diagnostic connectors clip to, otherwise there was no room. I also removed the bracket which holds the speedometer cable onto the cylinder head.

Make sure the little gold colored wire clip which holds the speedometer cable in place on the VSS on the early 1990's models has its rounded end facing the front of the car, otherwise the head shield won't clip back on.

The 10mm bolt which holds it in is a nuisance to get started and you have to be careful not to cross thread it. It should go back in with a 10mm nut driver in line with and touching the speedometer cable, pointing toward the left tire area.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
for the ax4n its much simpler. there is no speedo cable but on the passenger side next to the rear exhaust manifold. just look for something with a 2 wire plug

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think you reach the VSS easily from the top on a V8 SHO..can you? Because theres like no room anywhere in that engine compartment for anything lol. My SHO has an oil leak but my mencanic says its not worth it because you would have to rip a lot of stuff out too get to it..and its like a drip or 2 a day anyways...anywho, how could I get to VSS on a V* SHO?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
lol it was easy on a vulcan

but id say your best bet would probably be to drop the exhaust and work it from underneath. just 1 bolt holding it in, and dont shear it like I did.... its a real pain in the ass

·
Registered
6 Posts
The link in the quote refers to this topic.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
You have an AX4S. This might help:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6027
[/b]
Thanks so much, it is an AX4S. Saying that link might help was quite an understatement. It made it into a 10 minute part swap, instead of an all day hunt for the VSS. The Haynes manual is wrong as it says to jack up the car and pull it from underneath. For anyone else doing this it is an easy job through the hood:

1- reach in with the left hand while standing at the right fender. Feel for the VSS just below the #2 cylinder. It is on TOP of the transmission. You may need to pull back a heat shield.
2- Pull of the electrical connector. Remove the 10mm bolt with a box / open end combo wrench.
3- The VSS pulls straight out toward the driver's side.
4- The new VSS pushes straight in toward the passenger side. Bolt it. Plug it. Drive it.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

thanks for the info and pics, but for some reason I STILL can't find the VSS on my 99 Sable DOHC. I studied the pics carefully and went all over the area near the passenger side half-shaft on over to below Cylinder #2, but can't feel or see anything on top of the transmission that looks remotely like a VSS.

There is a sensor in a different place, mounted vertically but not on the transmission itself, but that doesn't seem to add up with what I'm reading here.

I'd rate my abilities as at least intermediate, and sadly spend well over 45 minutes looking and feeling for the stupid thing. Is it possible there's some kind of variation on where they put these things? Has anyone else run into this as well?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
thanks for the info and pics, but for some reason I STILL can't find the VSS on my 99 Sable DOHC. I studied the pics carefully and went all over the area near the passenger side half-shaft on over to below Cylinder #2, but can't feel or see anything on top of the transmission that looks remotely like a VSS.

There is a sensor in a different place, mounted vertically but not on the transmission itself, but that doesn't seem to add up with what I'm reading here.

I'd rate my abilities as at least intermediate, and sadly spend well over 45 minutes looking and feeling for the stupid thing. Is it possible there's some kind of variation on where they put these things? Has anyone else run into this as well?
[/b]
I'd venture to guess it's this thing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you!

That's what I suspected, but was thrown a bit by the description of it being right under Cylinder #2. This job shouldn't be bad at all.

Thanks again for your help... I like your picture. You wouldn't happen to have more posted around somewhere would you?

-Tommy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.