Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solved - VSS Location on 2004 taurus

Hi guys,

I just had some problems with hard shifting 1 to 2 and I noticed that the acceleration jumped weirdly and dropped back while it happened. No CEL, but I still connected the OBD and got P1500 - intermittent VSS readings. I might be lucky enough to just have to replace the VSS. I plan on replacing it tonight but I can't find the location on a 2004. Following a description on some website, I looked behind the driver's wheel and it seems to be laterally attached to the tranny. Is that the one?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
I would check the connector / harness first before condemning the OSS sensor. 04 uses a VR sensor (No mechanical connection to the tranny output shaft) instead of a mechanical AC generator VSS geared to the tranny output shaft as pre 04 models did. VR sensors themselves are very robust and very very rarely fail.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for such a quick reply. Darn it, I've just ordered it on Autozone. I will do that and spray some electric cleaner. As far as the location, is it under the battery / throttle body?

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
OSS is on the passenger side transmission output shaft housing.

Reactions: Andrei

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up replacing the VSS output sensor and, for the past two days, I've been testing the car under different conditions: hot, cold, sharp acceleration from full stop, slow acceleration etc. All shifting is smooth like butter. I couldn't find a pic anywhere with the location of the sensor in a 2004 so I am attaching a couple here for future visitors of this thread (a detail and a larger one for context). It is very easy to access, no need to remove anything. From the driver's side you can see it on the tranny; just reach for it (easy to stick your arm in there). There is a heat shield with an 8 mm bolt that also holds the sensor in place. Get a small ratchet, remove the bolt by feel, easily pull out the shield and sensor. Disconnect from socket, replace, put in the sensor and the shield over it and tighten the bold. 6 minutes :)

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to jump on you post, but I was going to ask the same thing. But I have a 2002 (1/2002) with the AX4S tranny. I've been reading that there are two types of VSS. How can I tell for sure for my early 2002?

Thanks for you photos.

A different post for a 99 had the VSS begind near the firewall.

Max

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That info is above my knowledge but the way people are in this forum someone who knows will surely answer soon :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to jump on you post, but I was going to ask the same thing. But I have a 2002 (1/2002) with the AX4S tranny. I've been reading that there are two types of VSS. How can I tell for sure for my early 2002?

Thanks for you photos.

A different post for a 99 had the VSS begind near the firewall.

Max

Now that I've researched it a little bit, there are two types of sensors: the ones with a mechanical gear connected to the transmission (like the 99) and the type that I have, which is a magnetic sensor. I am not sure about the type you have, but a quick search on Autozone for a 2002 returned only magnetic type sensors. The simple solution is to take it out and put it back and go to autozone, get a new one and install it. If it is located where mine is it is a 5 min job.

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
^ Max, I think you have the same eng./tranny combo as Andrei above. Follow his instrs. Part is probably cheaper at Rockauto or Ebay Motors online, but will have to be shipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up replacing the VSS output sensor and, for the past two days, I've been testing the car under different conditions: hot, cold, sharp acceleration from full stop, slow acceleration etc. All shifting is smooth like butter. I couldn't find a pic anywhere with the location of the sensor in a 2004 so I am attaching a couple here for future visitors of this thread (a detail and a larger one for context). It is very easy to access, no need to remove anything. From the driver's side you can see it on the tranny; just reach for it (easy to stick your arm in there). There is a heat shield with an 8 mm bolt that also holds the sensor in place. Get a small ratchet, remove the bolt by feel, easily pull out the shield and sensor. Disconnect from socket, replace, put in the sensor and the shield over it and tighten the bold. 6 minutes :)
Did you have to get under the car at all? Reached it from above just fine?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you have to get under the car at all? Reached it from above just fine?
Just from above. Plenty of space. Look in there with a flashlight to understand how it's positioned, then you can do it by feel. really easy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts