Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VSS issue
I have a 97 taurus 3.0 ax4n tranaxle. put new engine in ran fine for 2 days. now it wont shift right and speedometer not working. going to remove VSS to bench ck. but would like to know what is the supplied volt to the VSS.I got .5 volts the haynes manuel says it should be 1.5 v. anyone who can help it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, gmguy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the info. I got the VSS out and found the shaft froze up and the gear just spinning on the shaft. going to replace hope that's all that is wrong. But when removing VSS the hold down bolt broke off, ugh. will try to drill out from under side as the hole runs thru.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You must have the Vulcan 3.0. As I recall the VSS on my 3.0 duratec was a bi%$# to remove. Let alone drill out the hold down bolt. I would not want to do it again. Not in the drive way. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm working on a similar problem - speedometer not working or working intermittently. Got the VSS out today and checked the voltage at the connector per Haynes (whom I've learned to distrust). I measured 0.67 volts, not the 1.5 volts Haynes says should be there. Bench test of the VSS (again, per Haynes) suggests the VSS is OK. I was able to get about 0.8 volts (AC) just spinning it with my fingers, in either/both directions.

So, did you find an answer or does anyone know - what is the correct / expected voltage at the VSS connector? Is it really the 1.5 volts Haynes claims?

For whatever it's worth, this is on a 1998 Sable with the Duratech engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I myself don't trust the haynes book.but i did fix my problem. if you take the rt. front wheel off and support the eng. remove the motor mount the VSS is easily reached. It seems if these cars sit for while(2yrs) the shaft on the VSS locked up and striped out the gear so all the gear was doing was spinning on the VSS shaft. i replaced the VSS and the trans shift's fine now. .8 volts is a low reading i would replace it since you got it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts