Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the highway yesterday, all of a sudden the od/off light came on, and the speedometer started jumping all over the place. Well, I knew this means the VSS is probably dead, so when I got home, I broke out the Haynes manual, and drove the car up onto ramps.

I looked everywhere for the stupid VSS, and just couldn't seem to find it. So I came to this forum and found this thread: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-solutions-common-problems-how-articles/83984-vss-location.html

Anyway, I found a picture of the location, and tried to get to it again, but with no luck.

With only two ramps, I just can't seem to get far enough back under the car to locate it. I don't think there would be enough room to maneuver to it anyway.

I have an AX4N transmission on a Duratec Sable.

My question is, can I get to the stupid sensor from the top (under the hood)?? That would make life so much easier!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If you remove the wiper arms and upper and lower pieces of the windshield cowl, you can see it waaay down in there on top of the tranny. I could not get mine out because of how tightly seated it was and was afraid of breaking it off, leaving the drive gear (plastic) stuck in the trans. and causing a real expensive job. I ended up having a trans. shop change it out for me. They had to drop the exhaust pipe to get it out from underneath. All better!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you remove the wiper arms and upper and lower pieces of the windshield cowl, you can see it waaay down in there on top of the tranny. I could not get mine out because of how tightly seated it was and was afraid of breaking it off, leaving the drive gear (plastic) stuck in the trans. and causing a real expensive job. I ended up having a trans. shop change it out for me. They had to drop the exhaust pipe to get it out from underneath. All better!
I'm gonna have to try that. It's so frustrating though, because it's something so simple to change, and they have to hide it away in the stupidest spot possible. Thanks

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
You can't see it from under with the ramps? It's not too bad from under the car. You can see it fairly easy. See what you think about getting it from above. Buy if not is not as bad as you think from below.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't see it from under with the ramps? It's not too bad from under the car. You can see it fairly easy. See what you think about getting it from above. Buy if not is not as bad as you think from below.
I wish I could. I get as far back as I can, right up past the axle, and there is just enough room to get my head in. I just can't see it. If I had a lift it would be no problem, but its so tight I just can't see it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I wish I could. I get as far back as I can, right up past the axle, and there is just enough room to get my head in. I just can't see it. If I had a lift it would be no problem, but its so tight I just can't see it.
It may be hiding under a padded, foily looking heat shield, don't forget.
A lot of stuff is harder to find/service on the 'Tec compared to the Vulcan, it's so damn big. This is my first one after 4 Vulcans and I'll never go back though. Love the extra HP!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may be hiding under a padded, foily looking heat shield, don't forget.
A lot of stuff is harder to find/service on the 'Tec compared to the Vulcan, it's so damn big. This is my first one after 4 Vulcans and I'll never go back though. Love the extra HP!

That's a good thought too. I'll look for a shield. I'm kind of debating if it would cost me less to go take it to a mechanic to do, or invest in another set of ramps and a creeper to get this done.

I'm really starting to hate the Duratec though. I love the Vulcan in my Taurus. It's so much more durable and easy to service.

Next Taurus I get, I would definitely get another Vulcan. I seem to have nothing but problems with the Duratec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts