Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am new and I have a real good one for you. I am getting a VSS code and the speedo quit working and it is not shifting right. So my Haynes book says to confirm that I have 1.5 volts of reference voltage on the grey and black wire that goes to the vss with ignition in run. the trouble is that I have about .5 volts to the connector on the wire all the time even with ignition off. It looks to me like the wire has to have a bare spot on it and is picking up.5volts from another wire somewhere. Am I right?
Also in desperation. I cut the g/bk wire about 6 inches from where the harness goes into the PCM too see how much reference voltage I have there with the key on engine off and I have .012 or more or less nothing. I feel confident that I have the right wire because I have continuity from where it is cut to the end of the connection to the VSS. I put in a $45 junk yard PCM in there and am still getting almost no output on the wire that comes from the pcm to the VSS
Sorry this is so long and almost forgot to say it is in my 96 Taurus with 3.0 and AXOD
Any Ideas on where I am messing up?
thanks for your time

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (68lightning @ Jun 7 2010, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810218
Hi guys I am new and I have a real good one for you. I am getting a VSS code and the speedo quit working and it is not shifting right. So my Haynes book says to confirm that I have 1.5 volts of reference voltage on the grey and black wire that goes to the vss with ignition in run. the trouble is that I have about .5 volts to the connector on the wire all the time even with ignition off. It looks to me like the wire has to have a bare spot on it and is picking up.5volts from another wire somewhere. Am I right?
Also in desperation. I cut the g/bk wire about 6 inches from where the harness goes into the PCM too see how much reference voltage I have there with the key on engine off and I have .012 or more or less nothing. I feel confident that I have the right wire because I have continuity from where it is cut to the end of the connection to the VSS. I put in a $45 junk yard PCM in there and am still getting almost no output on the wire that comes from the pcm to the VSS
Sorry this is so long and almost forgot to say it is in my 96 Taurus with 3.0 and AXOD
Any Ideas on where I am messing up?
thanks for your time[/b]
I think i would have replaced the vss before the pcm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I allready had the PCM leftover from another project and the VSS tests good according to the Haines book procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got lucky

QUOTE (68lightning @ Jun 8 2010, 05:20 AM)

Have you used the search function on this wbsite? Here is a link to s vss issue where the vss was good but still no speedometer...............mash here
Yes, pretty much read everything about VSS. I changed the vss. got lucky and it is fixed with only .5 volts to the conector. I guess my lesson here is to IGNORE THE HAINES REPAIR MANUAL!!! You don,t have to confirm that you have 1.5 volts like they say. All you hve to do is change the sensor.
Hope this helps somebody else.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, and while you are at it, replace your defective VSS. That test procedure is only intended to verify that the VSS is getting power, not whether it works or not. So you confirmed it is getting power. That means the sensor is bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts