Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering why when I turn the radio up past the half way point the volume seems to get either softer or the bass goes down and sounds more treble. Is there a way to fix this like getting an amp, subs or better speakers? I can't get an aftermarket stereo because I have the autoclimate control.

·
Registered
746 Posts
the factory stereo has max bass output at slightly above half volume. an amp would help to fix this, but be careful because the speakers cant take much more power.

and personally i think that the factory speakers just plain suck above half volume. youre best bet is going to be to get an aftermarket HU. this will provide more power, and a much better sound.

edit: just saw you had the autoclimate control... im going through the same problem with adding an aftermarket HU. it takes alot more work, but it can be done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I replaced the factory speakers before I replaced the HU, and I was amazed at how bad the factory tuner sounded. I put in Infinity Kappas, and when I turned up the volume, I'd either get treble or bass when it was over half, but not both. The speakers didn't have anywhere near enough power to give some good output. The only way to make it sound better is add more power, so if you're going to add an amp, you should replace the speakers while you're at it because the factory speakers will most likely be blown by an amp anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Hoss i see that you said you are putting in a HU with your autoclimate... i was wondering where you are putting it and how you are doing it... i have spent some time thinking about where/how i would go about replacing it...

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Baiscally all I have to do really is to get a decent amp and some good speakers. I like the factory radio, I don't really want to fool around with trying to get an aftermarket radio, I just want a little more bass with out buying subs, So I'll go with the amp and speakers. Thanks for your help..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Head unit or pre amp has built in loudness circuitry that will boost the bass at low volumes and cut it at high volumes proportionally.

This will be hard to fix without a sub out connector unless you go to a separate amp with a bass boost circuit on it or a sub with a dedicated amp and bass boost.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Apr 27 2004, 10:20 PM
Head unit or pre amp has built in loudness circuitry that will boost the bass at low volumes and cut it at high volumes proportionally.

This will be hard to fix without a sub out connector unless you go to a separate amp with a bass boost circuit on it or a sub with a dedicated amp and bass boost.
traditionally the "loud" controls on HU's are only effective at low volumes. at higher volumes they act the same as low volumes and can send out extra power causing an amp to go into clipping or a speaker to go non-linear or become overpowered. i have not heard of a single unit where the loudness control works adversly at high volumes to accomodate for the lack of low volume response.

kind of the same goes for bass boost, all this does is boost a certain range of freq's to simulate an overall gain in volume. this channel of freq's is generally pretty narrow and runs on the same principal as the loudness control

i still vote with changing the HU, and getting one that will have a decent amount of Eq so that you can adjust te levels to your liking, plus the extra power will give you better quality sound and more response from your speakers

Matt22Hawk: i am cutting my dash into pieces and fiberglassing stuff in there... im not crazy about doing this, but i dont have many other options
. i have tried other things, and none of them have come out the way i wanted them yet... this is going to be temporary, and after i get the rest of the system installed i will be changing the HU set up once again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I figured that i would have to do something like fiberglassin it but i dont know that stuff so we will see... i dont see where i could put in a new HU... i saw that i think it was Spy_Guy put his where the ashtray is... is that where you are puttin yours Hoss? what are the demensions of a HU and also would they work standing up right???

·
Registered
746 Posts
mine will probably be a little higher than the ashtray... my floor shift would get in the way of the radio if mine were that low... but it will be something along the lines of that. my HU is a standard single din unit, not sure on the dimensions, but it is an alpine so you can go look at any of their single dins and see the specs.

and yes, they will work upright
. i have mine sitting upright in my center console right now and it works no problem... however, they dont like to spit the CD's out too much like that, but i have had no problem with mine so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey thanks man... where abouts in the center do you have it up right at??? i was thinking about custom fab a piece to get rid of the cup holder area and puttin one in there at like maybe a 45 deg angle... not sure tho seems like hella work and could end up costing alot of $$$ that i dont have...i dont know of any where else to put it... i am a little up set with having the digital climate controls b/c i had a monitor out of my old car that i can install in my sable b/c of the digi o well i will live... it seems like the ashtray area is like the main area to put one or the one that would seem to work best or whatever

·
Registered
746 Posts
i removed my factory CD changer and just put it in there... it is just sitting in there, no install. it is playing right now, but it is not secured. should only be like that for a few more weeks though, once i start my actual stereo install.

P.S--what kind of screen do you have? and are you looking to sell??

·
Registered
39 Posts
I see... my cd changer is in the trunk so that wouldnt work i have a 96 sable LS. i like the car just things kinda making me a little angry when it comes to me trying to stand out ya know with such things as rims i cant find any that 1 will fit and 2 that i like or look good on the car... any suggestions??? i am a college student so... yeah... haha nice try hoss but sorry i am not lookin to sell it... i will find some way to put it in it lol by the way its an alpine thats all i really know about it... i never had a chance to install it in my old ride before the car decided to take me for a ride of my life and send it flipping and then rolling me over twice... got the screens the week before and then well yeah...
not much i can do about it now

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Apr 27 2004, 09:28 PM-->QUOTE (hoss @ Apr 27 2004, 09:28 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SHOZ123
@Apr 27 2004, 10:20 PM

traditionally the "loud" controls on HU's are only effective at low volumes. at higher volumes they act the same as low volumes and can send out extra power causing an amp to go into clipping or a speaker to go non-linear or become overpowered. i have not heard of a single unit where the loudness control works adversly at high volumes to accomodate for the lack of low volume response.

kind of the same goes for bass boost, all this does is boost a certain range of freq's to simulate an overall gain in volume. this channel of freq's is generally pretty narrow and runs on the same principal as the loudness control

i still vote with changing the HU, and getting one that will have a decent amount of Eq so that you can adjust te levels to your liking, plus the extra power will give you better quality sound and more response from your speakers

Matt22Hawk: i am cutting my dash into pieces and fiberglassing stuff in there... im not crazy about doing this, but i dont have many other options
. i have tried other things, and none of them have come out the way i wanted them yet... this is going to be temporary, and after i get the rest of the system installed i will be changing the HU set up once again. [/b]
The separate amps that I have which have a bass boost are not volume dependent. If you boost the bass by whatever db value that is maintained proportionally throughout the volume range.

·
Registered
746 Posts
yes, i know it isnt volume dependent... i was saying that neither the loudness or bass boost is volume dependent. both do the same thing by centering upon a single frequency and boosting the surrounding frequencies, creating a slope downwards on either side of the center frequency. it stays constant throughout the volume range, but not the range of frequencies that the amp is reproducing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts