Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mercury Sable 98 that's making that knocking sound that I'm being told is a bad lifter. The labor will be $$$ and I can't afford it.

I'm sure this question sounds very dumb but I'm wondering if it's certain the car will fail inspection? It still runs with no other problems so I would hate to have to park it because of &*^& state inspection.

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
My family lived in Virginia as recently as 2005. We usually had a beater or two that still passed inspection no sweat. Heck, our '81 full-size Ford van blew all of the seats out of the exhaust valves on one side of the engine and it still made it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bad Lifter

I have a Mercury Sable 98 that's making that knocking sound that I'm being told is a bad lifter. The labor will be $$$ and I can't afford it.

I'm sure this question sounds very dumb but I'm wondering if it's certain the car will fail inspection? It still runs with no other problems so I would hate to have to park it because of &*^& state inspection.

TIA
My wifes GM van blew a head gasket about a month ago and after it was put together the lifter on cylinder 1 (where the head gasket blew) became noisy. I put in some Marvels Mystery Oil ( I had to remove a quart of oil, and replace it with a quart of MMO ) and started it up and the noise disappeared instantly and never returned.
MMO is great stuff and pretty inexpensive too.

k8crd

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't believe they'll fail you on the inspection because of a noisy lifter. If you live in a part of Virginia where they have to perform emissions testing, there's probably only 3 things that will fail you when it comes to that inspection: numbers that are out of spec, any sign that the emissions system has been hampered with or a car that is visibly smoking from the exhaust.

The other inspection is just a safety inspection. I noisy lifter has nothing to do with safety. They just check your lights, horn, brakes, parking brake, tire tread - and anything vital to the safety of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lifter problem

My wifes GM van blew a head gasket about a month ago and after it was put together the lifter on cylinder 1 (where the head gasket blew) became noisy. I put in some Marvels Mystery Oil ( I had to remove a quart of oil, and replace it with a quart of MMO ) and started it up and the noise disappeared instantly and never returned.
MMO is great stuff and pretty inexpensive too.

k8crd
I've already mixed Lucas oil stabilizer in shortly after an oil change. I wonder if I can add Marvel Mystery Oil to that or should I drain and replace the oil altogether?

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. I truly love my car. It doesn't hurt that it's paid for and a luxury model which has spoiled me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
MMO question

I've already mixed Lucas oil stabilizer in shortly after an oil change. I wonder if I can add Marvel Mystery Oil to that or should I drain and replace the oil altogether?

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. I truly love my car. It doesn't hurt that it's paid for and a luxury model which has spoiled me.
This was my first experience with MMO. I do not know if Lucas Oil stabilizer is compatible with MMO. But if you go to ::Marvel Mystery Oil:: -- there is an ASK THE MECHANIC spot where people can post questions and get answers regarding MMO and their unique problems with their cars engines.

k8crd

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Don't play mr. home chemist.

Lucas oil stabilizer has a habit to foam the oil at high revs causing cavitation in the oil pump. Doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen it happen. I even replicated it in their in store demo.

Oils these days do not need additives. ;) The come with them already in it.

You can probably end up HURTING your oils performance by adding Lucas to it.

Some people swear by it.. but honestly 90% of the people who swear by it... have no idea the chemical basis and conversions that occur by modifying the oils chemical structure by mixing it with additives.. You can make a 7000 mile oil last 2000 by mixing additives.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lucas oil staiblizer is intended to be used to extend the oil change interval. It supposedly replenishes the detergent and anti-wear additives.
Unfortunately it doesn't repair the sheared oil molecules-or remove any dirt or combustion blow-by products.
Instead of adding that stuff, just change the oil.
Another way to quiet a noisy lifter is before an oil change add a quart of ATF (NOT Type F) to the oil and drive it. ATF has lots of detergents and can free up the junk causing the lifter to make noise.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Lucas oil staiblizer is intended to be used to extend the oil change interval. It supposedly replenishes the detergent and anti-wear additives.
Unfortunately it doesn't repair the sheared oil molecules-or remove any dirt or combustion blow-by products.
Instead of adding that stuff, just change the oil.
Another way to quiet a noisy lifter is before an oil change add a quart of ATF (NOT Type F) to the oil and drive it. ATF has lots of detergents and can free up the junk causing the lifter to make noise.
This i'll agree with. However I'd strongly stay way from "Oil Stabilizers" no matter the brand. Especially Slick50. What good is teflon going to do except prevent oil adhesion to necessary surfaces???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Actually, Slick 50 isn't an oil stabilizer, it's an oil additive intended to reduce friction.

DuPont, the makers of Teflon have said do NOT add anything with Teflon into an engine. It can clog oil passages.
Do a web search on Slick 50, you'll see the horror stories.
Yes, Slick 50 makes lots of claims that their product is "Lab proven"...but they own the labs.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Actually, Slick 50 isn't an oil stabilizer, it's an oil additive intended to reduce friction.

DuPont, the makers of Teflon have said do NOT add anything with Teflon into an engine. It can clog oil passages.
Do a web search on Slick 50, you'll see the horror stories.
Yes, Slick 50 makes lots of claims that their product is "Lab proven"...but they own the labs.

Exactly my point. ;)

I just put oil stabilizers in quotes to cover any oil additives.. MMO magically works however.. But i've never personally had to use it in any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
i own a sho and people are all telling me to add lucas and oil and i was since last time i did and oil change and did not add any lucas and now i have a oil pressure light going on flash on low idle ???

and if i put some back in there it goes away !!!!

cuz here in canada it hard to get marvel mystery oil

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i own a sho and people are all telling me to add lucas and oil and i was since last time i did and oil change and did not add any lucas and now i have a oil pressure light going on flash on low idle ???

and if i put some back in there it goes away !!!!

cuz here in canada it hard to get marvel mystery oil

Moobs, if your oil is flowing effortlessly (for example you put REALLY GOOD OIL.) it will show a low pressure light. All that lucas did was modify the oil's viscosity and now its thicker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We owned an 86 ford 302 pickup. It was treated with slick 50 early in its life.

Now I'm not of fan of snake oils, but that dam ford went 270k miles before it was totaled and nothing in that engine was ever touched. That thing didn't drip any oil so seals were still good, and it only started to show a bit of smoke if you took it up to redline in 1st gear with no load an would puff as it shifted. Never burned any as dipstick was always full at oil change time. Dino oil used every 3k.

I recall my last ride in that vehicle after it was "totaled" Any lesser engine would have died a horrible death. I don't think there was much tread left on those rear tires when I parked it. (I had the same experience in a rental car once:lol2:) Ford taurus wagon..;)

So.... Did we get lucky with a solid 302 and 3k oci's helped it live a great life... or did that Slick 50 help any? I've never used another additive since, but I always wonder. I'm pretty sure I would still own that truck today had I not crashed it. That was part of the ford F-150 failed paint recall Nothing like a new paint job at 240k miles.... for free!

My dad put most of those miles on and he did note a significant increase in mileage after the treatment. I never noticed because I was 16 when I took over and I remember my dad always bitching about the mileage when he would fill the tanks. What do you expect from a teenager with a V8 pickup as his first vehicle...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
We owned an 86 ford 302 pickup. It was treated with slick 50 early in its life.

Now I'm not of fan of snake oils, but that dam ford went 270k miles before it was totaled and nothing in that engine was ever touched. That thing didn't drip any oil so seals were still good, and it only started to show a bit of smoke if you took it up to redline in 1st gear with no load an would puff as it shifted. Never burned any as dipstick was always full at oil change time. Dino oil used every 3k.

I recall my last ride in that vehicle after it was "totaled" Any lesser engine would have died a horrible death. I don't think there was much tread left on those rear tires when I parked it. (I had the same experience in a rental car once:lol2:) Ford taurus wagon..;)

So.... Did we get lucky with a solid 302 and 3k oci's helped it live a great life... or did that Slick 50 help any? I've never used another additive since, but I always wonder. I'm pretty sure I would still own that truck today had I not crashed it. That was part of the ford F-150 failed paint recall Nothing like a new paint job at 240k miles.... for free!

My dad put most of those miles on and he did note a significant increase in mileage after the treatment. I never noticed because I was 16 when I took over and I remember my dad always bitching about the mileage when he would fill the tanks. What do you expect from a teenager with a V8 pickup as his first vehicle...
I've seen 302's last about a vulcan's life of 300K... I'm not gonna bullshit and say that i've seen many.. but if anything that slick 50 sure didnt help anything if it didnt hurt anything. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts