Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a year ago i had installed a $200 viper 2-way remote start/car alarm installed in my bull. last night a part of it went bad, the part that gives power to the heater. I called directed electronics which is the company that makes the alarm. They told me that in order to get a part i have to go through an authorized dealer. Unfortunately, any of the authorized dealers within a 200 mile range of me cannot get parts for this alarm. Best buy, the company i had install the alarm wont help me because i connected the trunk release function after i left the store (something they wanted to charge me 80 dollars to do). Since i messed with their wiring, i voided their warranty and they refuse to help me. So to make a long story short viper refuses to help me because im not a dealer, and the dealer refuses to help me because i helped myself. So now i have to butcher the wiring harness and reroute the power to the heater so that while the engine is warming, the cabin can warm too.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
What model alarm do you have?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What model alarm do you have?
[/b]
I have the model 771XV 2-way pager remote starter. I payed $383 for the thing. It appears that best buy might actually decide to help me. I got a message from somebody there after half a day on the phone and a whole day waiting. Unfortunately I didn't get the message till after business hours so ill have to wait till Monday to call them back to figure out whats gonna happen. So now i have even more wait time. The people in the Best Buy service department might actually redeem themselves, while Directed Electronics ( the maker of Viper and Clifford alarms) is still number one on my shite list for the way they were of negative help.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
If you cant get best buy to help, you could connect the orange wire on the 4 wire aux output harness to a relay to switch it on and off, esentially bypassing the internal accessory relay.

[attachmentid=27778]

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you cant get best buy to help, you could connect the orange wire on the 4 wire aux output harness to a relay to switch it on and off, esentially bypassing the internal accessory relay.

[attachmentid=27778]
[/b]

Yes i know that i can replace the relay. what i was trying to do was get a replacement from them because the relay in the switch box is quite small and i didnt want to add a normal sized relay in the mix (it would cause it to look very much "non-stock"). If push comes to shove ill take one of my many spare relays and, with a bit of wire, solder it right to the board. How did you manage to find the exact color of the wire i was working with so fast?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[attachmentid=27778]
[/b]

Yes i know that i can replace the relay. what i was trying to do was get a replacement from them because the relay in the switch box is quite small and i didnt want to add a normal sized relay in the mix (it would cause it to look very much "non-stock"). If push comes to shove ill take one of my many spare relays and, with a bit of wire, solder it right to the board. How did you manage to find the exact color of the wire i was working with so fast? [/b][/quote]

The install manual online, coupled with the fact that the viper 5701 I am installing has much the same wire colors. You could just pull the part number off the relay inside and order it from mouser or something.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with your advice i took a look. they wernt able to get a match off of the part number, so if best buy cant help me out i guess ill have to just paw through the relays that they have to try and find one that would be a closer fit. But ill prolly just end up using a standard sized relay soldered to the board with wires.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one would probably work pretty well and still fit in the case. Its rated at 12v 15a. You could probably google it to find it in a single quantity.
http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp...XpcmaBSsQ%3d%3d
[/b]
the one thats in there is rated for 30amps and it fried, so if i have to replace im want to use one of the ones that i have thats rated for 30/40 amps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts