Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to hate my Taurus. All 4 struts have to be replaced. When you hit the brake, you have to pump it. Gently. I mean barely pressing it in. When you brake normally, the whole car starts shaking. Replacing all brake parts twice a year. I've tried every brand of rotors. Duralast,AutoZone,Wal*Mart,Motorcraft, It currently has OEM Parts that were made by Ford for the Taurus, I've had those for about 8 months. Maybe I should call up the Jeep dealer about the '08 Grand Cherokee I saw....... :(

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Replacing all brake parts twice a year. I've tried every brand of rotors
Have you replaced your calipers? The reason I'm asking is if not, have you checked that the sliders or piston is not seized or sticking. It they are that could be a cause for warping rotors due to a brake dragging even when you are not applying them. Brake calipers should be serviced (sliders cleaned and lubed) about once a year. That helps in preventing issues.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Have you had ball joints and suspension checked??? If you have checked rotors, etc I would go to an alignment shop and check the suspension to be safe. Do you have the good ceramic brake pads?? I put the $60 pair on the front of my 2000 and they are well worth the price. Good luck, hard to tell without a road test!
Be well, stan:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you replaced your calipers? The reason I'm asking is if not, have you checked that the sliders or piston is not seized or sticking. It they are that could be a cause for warping rotors due to a brake dragging even when you are not applying them. Brake calipers should be serviced (sliders cleaned and lubed) about once a year. That helps in preventing issues.
I have replaced the calipers, and i clean and lube the sliders once a year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had ball joints and suspension checked??? If you have checked rotors, etc I would go to an alignment shop and check the suspension to be safe. Do you have the good ceramic brake pads?? I put the $60 pair on the front of my 2000 and they are well worth the price. Good luck, hard to tell without a road test!
Be well, stan:eek:
I have had the ball joints looked at last summer. They where worked on and the shaking went away. it came back 2 months later. I replaced all the brake parts with OEM Ford parts, so it has OEM brake pads. I haven't had the suspension looked at.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I am starting to hate my Taurus. All 4 struts have to be replaced. When you hit the brake, you have to pump it. Gently. I mean barely pressing it in. When you brake normally, the whole car starts shaking. Replacing all brake parts twice a year. I've tried every brand of rotors. Duralast,AutoZone,Wal*Mart,Motorcraft, It currently has OEM Parts that were made by Ford for the Taurus, I've had those for about 8 months. Maybe I should call up the Jeep dealer about the '08 Grand Cherokee I saw....... :(
I personally wouldn't get rid of a car over braking problems, but that's just me. Figure out what component is actually failing (repeatedly?) and go from there.

129,000 miles out of the struts is pretty good, they certainly don't last forever.

If you're only going to one mechanic, you should consider getting a second opinion, braking issues are generally fairly easy to solve. If you take it to a decent garage, they should be able to correct the issue in short order.

·
Registered
447 Posts
From reading this thread, I'd say you may have bad inside tie rod ends and out-of-balance tires.

The usual suspect, imho, is brake rotors. I had the shakes on a new-to-me 1995 Taurus. One rotor was cracked right in the band where the pads make contact. New rotors, new pads, problem fixed.

I have had bad wheel balance and bad tie rod ends cause the same thing, on another car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you replaced the balljoints and the shaking went away - then came back two-months later, you may want to check the ball joints again.

Other than that, what about the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have rear discs?
I have rear drums.

If you replaced the balljoints and the shaking went away - then came back two-months later, you may want to check the ball joints again.

Other than that, what about the wheel bearings?

Pretty sure I had those looked at along with the ball joints. I did notice today they warped. I'll change them next week when I get my check.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The lug nuts need to be torqued properly after using a multiple "star" tightening pattern. Though I've not identified it as a Taurus problem, unevenly torqued lugs could warp the rotor a bit. It does on other brand cars. A warped rotor will cause vibration when braking.

On my recently acquired '95 GL, the lug nuts were all over the place, torque-wise. And I did find a cracked rotor. I don't know if the unevenness did it, but it certainly didn't help matters.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The lug nuts need to be torqued properly after using a multiple "star" tightening pattern. Though I've not identified it as a Taurus problem, unevenly torqued lugs could warp the rotor a bit. It does on other brand cars. A warped rotor will cause vibration when braking.

On my recently acquired '95 GL, the lug nuts were all over the place, torque-wise. And I did find a cracked rotor. I don't know if the unevenness did it, but it certainly didn't help matters.

To add to what you have said, some auto shops/mechanics torque the lug nuts with air guns which overtorque the lug nuts, and distort the rotor.

A good auto shop/mechanic uses a torque wrench and torques the lug nuts to 85-105 ft/lbs using a star pattern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"When you brake normally, the whole car starts shaking. Replacing all brake parts twice a year. I've tried every brand of rotors."

When I purchased my '96 Taurus GL, I had the same problem after awhile. I tried changing rotors with little to no avail. Later, I found that if the tires were rebalanced twice a year the problem mostly went away. Since I buy my tires at Sears, the rebalancing is free. Other tire shops might offer the same free service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Struts Replaced...

I bought all the struts yesterday. $720!!!! :censored: :puke:

Taking it to my good friend's shop on Monday. I'll report back on Tuesday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fixed. Turns out my car was pretty screwed. My buddy said the steering ties where almost destroyed, and i am lucky i didn't wreck. He replaced the rotors, all 4 struts, steering ties, outer ties, fixed the washer nozzles, replaced a piece of hose, and replace a part i can't remember. I'll look at the invoice and update later. I also ordered a replacement Key Fob that is coming in either Friday or Saturday. The car drives great, and seems to sit a few inches higher. Just need to wash it, vacuum it, and paint it. I'll be stylin! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts