Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm...so I finally decided to run a VIN report on my 1992 Sable. According to the historical title records I am the third owner. It was first titled in Missouri on 11/3/1994 at 37091 miles.....how does that happen? The car was two years old. Dealer demonstrator/loaner? I'm confused as to why it wasn't titled until two years after it's date of manufacture and at 37K miles...I guess it doesn't really matter. Just seems a bit odd. Any ideas?

Jeff

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Hmmm...so I finally decided to run a VIN report on my 1992 Sable. According to the historical title records I am the third owner. It was first titled in Missouri on 11/3/1994 at 37091 miles.....how does that happen? The car was two years old. Dealer demonstrator/loaner? I'm confused as to why it wasn't titled until two years after it's date of manufacture and at 37K miles...I guess it doesn't really matter. Just seems a bit odd. Any ideas?

Jeff
Yes.

A car can be resigtered but not titled.

Car maker can keep and use their own cars, register them, but not titled.

Sometimes called corp ex cars. I bought a '91 Lin Cont from local dealer, 15K miles, I was the first title holder. Ford made the vehicle, used it for internal use, then auctioned to dealers. This is a private auction, factory to Ford dealers.

Corp ex cars is a mis-name for them. They are not only for execs. Employees who travel use company cars. Some are assigned, others in the company pool.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You cannot drive a car o public roads without registering it. It's ilegal.
The reason that Carfax report failed is because is not infailible...
Rental fleet cars don't show up in Carfax reports. My wife Hyunday we bought it at 10k, 1 year old and was "never registered" in Carfax reports. In the glove compartment we find some paper from a big company rental chain.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Vin

You cannot drive a car o public roads without registering it. It's ilegal.
The reason that Carfax report failed is because is not infailible...
Rental fleet cars don't show up in Carfax reports. My wife Hyunday we bought it at 10k, 1 year old and was "never registered" in Carfax reports. In the glove compartment we find some paper from a big company rental chain.
Pic attached is what is most common in "non personal" use.

Someone put few miles on it before registered period. That would be the dealer. He can use all he wants with dealer plates and no reg.

Other owner types Corp Fleet and Lease, Personal Lease, and others I do not remember.

Of course there can be missing data on CarFAx. I have been car shopping and seen cars the dealer drove for a year or more. Saw one the dealer owner took to Florida and back to NY. For sale on lot with about 10K and never registered. Nice car but it had a hitch on it and he had been towing something. I think it was a boat to FL. I took a pass.

-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts