Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 GL wagon, 130k, 3.0 engine. Well taken care of, new VSS, $800 tranny minor rebuild. Aside from zero torque (what was Ford thinking?) I was getting side to side shake up a 6% long hill at 45-47mph. Replaced 2 motor mounts, one mechanic feels it was inner CV joint leading to $2100 tranny job. Car is fine at 65mph. New tires, no tread imbalance that I know of. I can try to go faster uphill, or and when I go under 45 with the semi trucks of course the engine settles down. Any ideas and Forum resources would be welcome. Great forum for ideas, gives me hope for the future of my Taurus.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
start with a tune-up. New plugs and wires and such. Often times those kinda problems are as simple as that. Everyone just gets super nervous or greedy or just wants to sound like a car god and says the most complicated thing they can think of. My moms Grand Prix did the same thing, mostly while going uphill, but also on flat ground. Changed all 6 plugs and put in new plug wires, runs like new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey madness spirit I appreciate the speedy reply. Car is tuned, mechanic is great, does house calls, he's known the car for 3yrs. I track every @##@$ sound and he fixes it perfectly. Gas mileage is fine. I'm wary of those trannies but not willing to replace it due to old age of car.
I hear ya though, its fun to take a car to a strange mechanic and they ballpark "the johnson rod". Never hurts to pit one mechanic against another either!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wagon never has a brake problem. It flies on the flats, in fact I am amazed at how fast it goes without touching the accellerator. I'm trying to isolate the shudder/shake. Shifts fine.

One mechanic said the classic words: "you could drive it around town for years-or we could go to Trans X for 2100$"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Followup: blew out 1st gear yesterday, after a 250 mile freeway trip, first stop sign the tranny slipped big time. This AM reverse was not working...bottom line all checking in advance can't help this tranny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts