Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Mercury Sable Wagon with the Duratec and there's an annoying problem whereby depending upon road conditions, the gas pedal vibrates and makes my foot go numb!

The dealer has replaced the throttle cable and the situation has not changed. There is no vibration if the car is in park and the engine is throttled, it only exhibits itself when it is driven (I do not think the vibration is coming through the engine compartment). The severity of the vibration depends upon road surface, it is minimal (but still present) if the surface is fresh asphalt, it it's concrete or older asphalt it is much more evident. Steering is fine with no vibration in the steering (balancing appears to be OK). Vibration with my feet on the floor is nearly non-existant. The virbation is also present through the brake pedal as felt when resting the foot extermely lightly upon the brake pedal as so not to activate the brakes.

If I have my stereo on (factory stereo Mach system) at moderate or lower levels (high levels will obviously cause unwanted vibration), some vibration is felt from the kick drums sounds and such through the pedals but it is minimal (but still existant).

I hope I have provided enough details for an expert in this forum to offer possible solutions.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There might be a bushing around bolt that holds the the gas pedal arm on, and that might be broken, although I can't imagine why it would be...

JR

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI...These are adjustable pedals. I was unaware there are bushings on the pedal mounting bolt that may be broken. I will definitely have to have that investigated as the car has been pampered from the very day I bought it new.

Vibration varies depending upon speed and road surface. Vibration can be felt by using the sound system from somewhat below moderate levels to greater levels.

No vibration is felt from the engine compartment. RPM speed has no effect.

If the brake rotors are warped why would vibration be felt when not applying the brakes if vibration or shimmy is not felt at the steering wheel? I had a shimmy problem with this car for over 9 months at highway speed until I brought it to another dealer who finally fixed the shimmy by using a WORKING balancing machine (or a mechanic who knows how to balance tires). This is after paying for a four-wheel alignment, four new tires (Ford shared costs for the tires), replacing/resurfacing the rotors and numerous attempts at rebalancing the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Yeah, I've got the same kind of vibration and I've got adjustable pedals also. Mine is not nearly as bad as what you describe, but annoying none-the-less. I've kind of just blamed it on slope in the motor and screw that moves the pedals in and out, but I may be wrong. I'll take a look at mine later on.

-mobiuslogic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts