Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a 2002 Taurus and the car has had a vibration issue for a while. At first the car would vibrate pretty bad at certain speeds but there was no noise issue. My first thought was the tires, so I replaced all 4. There was no difference after the tires were replaced. Now the car makes popping sounds comming from the front passenger side and it seems to make the sounds more when turning the wheel at lower speeds. I visually check the cv axles and checked to see if the front wheels had any play in them. CV axle seems ok and there is no play in the front wheels.
It seems like the vibration/popping noise is comming from the transmission because when I put the car in neutral when driving the sounds and vibrations go away. The vibration feels likes its comming from the floor board and can be felt more when the car hits the bottom of a hill. I dont seem to notice the vibration when going uphill for some reason. The transmission also slams hard into gear at times when putting it from park to drive or in reverse. Also when the car is in gear and I slow down going down a hill, it seems to bang hard into a lower gear. The transmission seems to shift smooth and normal except for slowing down going down an incline.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas or know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2002 Taurus and the car has had a vibration issue for a while. At first the car would vibrate pretty bad at certain speeds but there was no noise issue. My first thought was the tires, so I replaced all 4. There was no difference after the tires were replaced. Now the car makes popping sounds comming from the front passenger side and it seems to make the sounds more when turning the wheel at lower speeds. I visually check the cv axles and checked to see if the front wheels had any play in them. CV axle seems ok and there is no play in the front wheels.
It seems like the vibration/popping noise is comming from the transmission because when I put the car in neutral when driving the sounds and vibrations go away. The vibration feels likes its comming from the floor board and can be felt more when the car hits the bottom of a hill. I dont seem to notice the vibration when going uphill for some reason. The transmission also slams hard into gear at times when putting it from park to drive or in reverse. Also when the car is in gear and I slow down going down a hill, it seems to bang hard into a lower gear. The transmission seems to shift smooth and normal except for slowing down going down an incline.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas or know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Sounds like bad ball joints, possibly bad engine/transmission mount(s) and possible reasons for the hard shifts that the other members can explain that I can't. :p

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
^+1 on the engine/transmission mounts!

The mounts are supposed to isolate vibration from the engine and transmission from the rest of the car. Also, they restrain the engine/transmission assembly from rocking too far back and forth when shifting/accelerating.

Just a test, but leave the hood open and do a brake-stand. (You put the car in drive or reverse and just about literally stand on the brake while gently pressing on the accelerator.) The car shouldn't move, but have someone look at the engine while you do this to see if it lifts/leans more than an inch or two. If it moves in Drive, the rear engine mount is bad. If it moves in Reverse, the front mount is bad. Truthfully, you should have it looked at if you don't know what to look for.

I probably need to replace my transmission mount because I am getting vibration but both of the engine mounts have been replaced recently. I think the transmission mount is original to the car!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with everyone else on what you should be looking at, but also check the passenger side drive axle. I had a bad vibration at 40+ mph under a load.

I replaced the passenger side axle and the vibration is now completely gone. It's a pretty inexpensive part, check this link to Rockauto: Part's Image It's only 45 bucks, and not that difficult to install.

Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts