Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are vibrating above ~40mph on the highway. I've tried the fast braking thing to see if theres deposits on the brake rotors, and I thought it helped for a while, but its back. So now I'm assuming my rotors are warped. What are some good decent brake rotors and pads that I can buy. I just spent $700 getting my new tires, a new tie rod and an alignment, so I'd like to save as much money as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I just buy cheaper rotors, mainly because I always install new rotors with new pads. Anyhew, I don't have any problem with warping. When you install new rotors, brake lightly for the first while to allow a "break in" period. When braking you want to gradually heat the rotors up. This will help in preventing them from warping.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Is there rust on the surface of the outside or inside of the rotor? I had rust on mine and got rid of most of the shaking with a grinding wheel. Worked great.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pretty sure my rotors are warped too so I'm getting them changed soon. On RockAuto there's Raybestos Rotors with Outside Diameter 10.1" and some with Outside Diameter 11.58"

I'm contemplating going with the bigger ones. Bigger is better right? Will the bigger ones fit without modifications under a stock wheel?

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 11 2009, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731694
You have a 2001, you should already have the bigger brakes stock.[/b]
Oh okay. It's weird that they list the smaller ones then. Probably wouldn't be smart to go any smaller than the stock ones. It looks like Raybestos makes a higher quality rotor thats around $20 more called "Advanced Technology". Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also, what exactly is the difference between these two pad options:

Raybestos Part # ATD601C Front; Police Package; Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Semi-Metallic

and

Raybestos Part # ATD598C Front; Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Ceramic

Other than the $4 the first one has on the second.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
You need the ones with 598 in the part number. The 601s are for the 10.9" front brakes. :)

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I'm kind of laughing here.

Been going through this since 1997. The V8 SHO's have the bigger brakes with the 598 pads.

You either HAVE new brakes, or you will NEED new brakes soon on your SHO....
just a running joke, because these things warp sooooo often for any reason.

Just get the Duralast rotors and decent pads, like the Duralast Gold, from AutoZone and be done with it. It is almost a certainty that within 2 - 3 years your rotors will inevitably be warped again.

It just happens. You can spend a ton of money, just to be in the same place. Why bother, it's gonna happen again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Jun 12 2009, 03:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731898
It is almost a certainty that within 2 - 3 years your rotors will inevitably be warped again.[/b]
I don't have a SHO myself but I think that if I invest more in a decent set of rotors like the "Advanced Technology" ones from Raybestos they'll last longer. Besides, I want American made brakes on my car. Isn't Duralast from China?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
QUOTE (wildaaron @ Jun 12 2009, 07:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731909
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Jun 12 2009, 03:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731898
It is almost a certainty that within 2 - 3 years your rotors will inevitably be warped again.[/b]
I don't have a SHO myself but I think that if I invest more in a decent set of rotors like the "Advanced Technology" ones from Raybestos they'll last longer. Besides, I want American made brakes on my car. Isn't Duralast from China?
[/b][/quote]

There are 2 levels of DuraLast rotors, but yeah, I think they're imported. I appreciate your American Made approach :thumb:

In my experiences, and I've done dozens of brake jobs with everything from turned used rotors up to cross drilled, slotted, cryogenically treated "Race" rotors costing hundreds and it don't matter. Get 'em hot, hit ONE puddle when it just isn't your lucky day, and your done. Pedal pulsing until you fix them....AGAIN....

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
On my SHO I've had three sets of rotors in ten years. NONE of them were replaced because of being warped. If you have cheap pads they WILL leave deposits. And if you braked hard and they stop vibrating that is the clear sign of the problem, especially if the problem comes back while you still have the same set of pads on.

The older Taurusus with the smaller front rotors were prone to warping. But the 11.6" rotors with good (more than $40) semi metallic pads should not warp.

The worst set of rotors I've had were the Raybestos Brute Stop. They didn't last a year before developing radial cracks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts