Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a heavy heart I sit here, struggling to find the words, and for once they will not come.

On February 3rd, one of our shoforum members, Steve (aka Project89SHO) lost his 19 year old son Eric. His son was driving his Ranger pickup truck home from the base he was posted at and the truck had some mechanical problems. In an effort to repair the problem Eric pulled over to the side of the road, jacked up the truck and was attempting to fix the problem when the jack gave way, falling on top of Eric. The truck crushed him to death.

Eric was married just 8 months ago, his lovely bride and he were expecting a child this coming August. He is also survived by his parents, a sister and many family members who will miss him terribly.

Eric would have been 20 in June. He had been on active duty in the Army since late October with about one year of Army National Guard service prior to going active duty. He had been trained as a wheeled vehicle mechanic and enjoyed it both as his work and as a hobby. After his wife and his cat George, his Ranger pickup was the love of his life. He and his wife were both 2002 graduates of Hazelwood Central High School, Florissant, Missouri.

Preliminary arrangements are as follows:

Visitation is Wednesday evening 4:00 to 9:00 PM at:

Kutis Funeral Home
5255 Lemay Ferry Road
St. Louis, MO 63129-1401
Phone: (314) 894-4500

Funeral services to be held on Thursday (time TBD) at Kutis with interment immediately following at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.

Steve relayed the sad news to a board that Eric frequented often and I think that you all should read it. Here is the link to the post on Rangerpowersports.com

Even though Steve had just lost his own son, he still cared enough about others to relay a message, that being to always own, carry and use jack stands. Most of the time I could see where they may seem more of a hassle than they are worth, but if they save the life of yoruself or of one you love, they pay for themselves over 100 fold over and the hassle of using them seems a lot less like a hassle. Please people, use your jackstands, if you don't have any, get some.

My sincerest regrets, condolences and prayers go out to Steve, his wife and daughter and to Eric's lovely bride Jenn and child to be as well as the entire family. God hold and keep you all in your time of sorrow.

This is Eric and his wife on their wedding day.

X

·
0 Posts
My condolences

I believe Steve is a member here as well. Sorry to hear Steve.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Steve, my condolences go out to you and your family as well. I'm extremely sorry to hear of your loss. May God be with him always.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
From the bottom of my heart, to Steve and his family, and to Eric's wife, I am so terrbily sorry to hear that. I didn't know Steve, or Eric at all, but the fact that he was only a year older than me, married and just starting a family... just... I'm at a loss for words. That is just horrible.

I've done that before. That could have been me. I'm so sorry. To all that knew him, keep him close to your hearts.

I can't believe this...truly sad news.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Please extend your thoughts and prayers to Steve and his family. Here is the original post Steve made to Rangersports.com.It can be read here also. If you can help Steve out and know of any Ranger or other boards Eric visited or hung out. Please forward the announcment.Rangersports link

An Open Message from the Father of lilpimp5e
It is with a sad heart that I inform you that my son Eric, known to you as "lilpimp5e" was lost yesterday in a preventable accident that I hope each of you will avoid.

His Ranger had suffered a breakdown somewhere between his post at Ft Irwin and his residense in Barstow, CA. According to the sketchy information that has been provided to us, he was under the vehicle attempting to repair it alongside the road when the jack shifted in the sandy soil. The truck crushed him to death.

I do not know if he even owned a set of safety stands. I suspect he didn't as he was just starting his collection of tools. I believe that had a set been in use, he would be waking up this morning and reporting to duty.

My message is simple:

For the fathers (or mothers) that may read this, PLEASE go buy a decent jack and set of stands for your son (or daughter) to use while working on the truck. The thought to do this had never even crossed my mind when I bought him tools as gifts.

For you sons and daughters out there, please do not put yourself into such an unsafe position as did Eric. Ask your mother or father for this simple set of safety equipment if you cannot afford them yourself. Please do not go under your vehicle without them.

Eric is survived by his wife of only 8 months, a child due in August, his mother and father, a sister, and many family members who will miss him tremendously.

Eric probably frequented more Ranger boards than just this one. If you are familiar with more of his online community, please forward this announcement to any of his concerned friends.

I regularly post at Taurus SHO (www.shoforum.com & www.superhighoutput.com), Contour (www.contour.org), and F-150 (www.f150online.com) boards under the nickname of "projectSHO89" for any that may know me from those venues. In the event that Eric has any outstanding dealings with any members that need to be concluded, I can be contacted at [email protected]

Steve Weinrich

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wow, my deepest regrets to all involved.

To second the cautionary advise, my grandpa also had a jack collapse, during a road-side tire change (also on an unstable surface). Luckilly, of course, he was not under the car, but this sort of thing must not be as uncommon as I had imagined when he told me that story.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
that is sad, thats kinda how my grandpa passed away. he was workin under his car, had ramps up front and something else holding the back up. the thing holdin the back collapsed and the car fell on him and crushed him instantly. no1 was around him at the time it happened, even if someone was there, the would have been nothing to do to save him. im also part of the rps and heard it there, he had a nice lookin truck, my deepest sympothys for ur family

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Damn, thats a terrible thing. I usually use a jack and sometimes skimp on using the jackstands. I never thought something like that can/would happen.

Ill be using them now from now on though, for sure.

-DC

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
him and his family are in my prayers. god bless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm so sorry for the family's loss. My condolences go out to the entire family.

About 20 years ago a lady that worked for me lost her 16 year old son almost the same way. His car was in the garage on solid ground, no vehicles driving by, no wind, and it still collapsed. You can NEVER trust a jack with your life...

Again, my condolences...

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I'm absolutely saddened to hear this. May God have mercy on his young family, and give you all strength in a time of desperation and sadness. Don't remember the way he died, remember the way he lived.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Very sad news indeed.

Having a lifted vehicle fall on me is one of my greatest fears. My grandfather (my automotive teacher and mentor) ALWAYS made sure I was using adequate stands when I was working underneath a car. And even then, after many many years as a mechanic, when he was about 70 years old a car fell on top of him while he was working on it. The car was on solid concrete but the stand slipped and the car fell. Luckily he was not killed, but was injured and humbled by the serious risk of working underneath a 3000+ pound machine.

Safety First. Always use jack stands suitable for the load. Space them evenly on solid, level ground. NEVER use a jack as a stand. Throw away the cheap jack supplied by the car manufaturer and purchase a 2 ton hydraulic jack for lifting. Only use the cheap scissor jack to change a flat in an emergency and never put any body part under the vehicle when one is in use.

Good luck to the young family he left behind.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The good folks are always taken from us too soon.
Tho I never knew him well, I do remember that name project89sho.

I guess the only thing we can think is now he is in a better place than ours.
It is quite sad.

I guess nothing anyone says can take his family's pain, but yeah, shall his family remember how he lived...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts