Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 SE wagon with the DOHC 3.0. It currently has 71,xxx miles on it. I got in it to come home from work this evening and it was acting very erratic. It was surging, shifting hard, headlights were flickering, the dash lights went out, the radio went out, I hear what sounded like relays clicking and all of this kind of happened in a random sequence continually for my short drive home.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, it was a bad battery. Took it in had it tested... bad cell. Got the new one dropped it in. Everything is cool. noticed none of windows worked than they came back. Noticed the HVAC was unresponsive than it came back. Should be worried that this bad battery caused permanent damage to other systems?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Ok, it was a bad battery. Took it in had it tested... bad cell. Got the new one dropped it in. Everything is cool. noticed none of windows worked than they came back. Noticed the HVAC was unresponsive than it came back. Should be worried that this bad battery caused permanent damage to other systems?
If anything pays the price it would be the alternator in my experience.

No substitue for a good battery.

-chart-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anything pays the price it would be the alternator in my experience.

No substitue for a good battery.

-chart-
Well, maybe it has paid the price. After some more driving today/tonight my battery/charging light was on. The thing is when I got home I left the car running and got my multi-meter and I watched it for a while and it never dipped below 14 volts.

Could it still be an "iffy" ground? If so, where should I look?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
check the connections on the battery and make sure they are clean tight and make good contact. if everything checks out turn on all your lights, a/c, and radio. check the volts at the battery. while you are still checking have someone hit the power windows and see if there is a sustained drop.
the firewall grounds get dirty and maybe need to be cleaned also

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
check the connections on the battery and make sure they are clean tight and make good contact. if everything checks out turn on all your lights, a/c, and radio. check the volts at the battery. while you are still checking have someone hit the power windows and see if there is a sustained drop.
the firewall grounds get dirty and maybe need to be cleaned also
Were can I find those grounds?

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it has the long black fuse box near the radiator, open it up and pull each relay out one at a time and check the spade connectors. Also, look for white corrosion that looks like powder and creeps up into the relay plastic base. I have had erratic behavior of the electrical systems on my 05 because road salt spray has migrated into the components and the box and caused bad connections. After cleaning the spades, and sometimes removing the housings on the relays and cleaning the contacts, I put anti-seize on the spades before plugging them back into the box.

The problems corrosion caused took along time to nail down.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
^ +1.
off the top of my head i can not recall the ground locations. iirc pass side fender and firewall ( someone will correct me if i am wrong )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts