Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just bought my Ford taurus 2004 like less than 2 weeks ago, Its giving me 8mpg!!! on the digital reader, I dont know how accurate that is but it still bugs me. I did oil and filter change spark plugs checked tire pressure. Everything seems fine what could be wrong?!!!! PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Ok I just bought my Ford taurus 2004 like less than 2 weeks ago, Its giving me 8mpg!!! on the digital reader, I dont know how accurate that is but it still bugs me. I did oil and filter change spark plugs checked tire pressure. Everything seems fine what could be wrong?!!!! PLEASE HELP ME
Just a tip, the Dash MPG gauge is an average approximation. If you're getting at least 290 miles to a tank, you're doing pretty good.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Try to check your mileage based on topping the tank off and resetting the trip meter and then topping it off again and doing the math of how many miles you traveled and how many gallons it took to top off the tank.

I think you should get a better number doing this. Even with A/C on and lots of city driving i only go as low as 14 mpg which is pretty bad.

Unless your really behind on other maintenance areas you should be getting better than 8 per gallon.

It never hurts to put a new air filter in and clean the MAF then replace the fuel filter and even clean the Throttle Body and IAC Valve if you have the spare time.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Check for drannging brakes, siezed caliper pins, etc. My info center MPG agrees reasonably well with actual miles vs. gallons if I average over several tanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the dash MPG reader is calibrated for "overall average" there must be some way to reset it. If not, it is trying to calculate 'instant' mileage figures as you drive.

The ones I've seen on GM will do both, but I haven't had any experience with Ford stuff.

It will show numbers less than 10 when you accelerate from a stop, but in turn, it should show really high numbers when you are out of the throttle, going down a hill, or coasting from high speed, etc.

Like 901-Memphis said, the only accurate way to figure true miles-per-gallon is to do the continuous topping off the tank method.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check for dragging brakes, seized caliper pins, etc.
+1 I agree. Sometimes you can see a blued (from the heat)
rotor or drum. I had this problem on one wheel on my 96 sable and narrowed it down quickly by stopping after driving the vehicle and feeling the temperature of the wheels. If one is hotter than the rest, you found the culprit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If it is really 8 mpg then it is pretty bad. I am suspecting a dragging rear drum also now after thinking about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sticking rear cylinder?

+1 on the dragging rear drum. I replaced the shoes and drums on my Taurus yesterday, and found the the wheel cylinder on the passenger side was frozen and had to be replaced. Jack up the rear and spin the wheels. If the cylinder is frozen and the shoe is pushed up against the drum, you'll notice the wheel will hardly spin. Compare this to the other side of the car. If one side spins a lot more freely than the other, it's possible a cylinder is stuck in the "brakes applied" position. Have you noticed any "hot brake" smell?

Of course, if this has been going on for a while, the shoe is already worn down and none of what I've written will help. But then, if that's the case, your MPG would be more normal, too.

As a lesser alternative to jacking the car up, find a sloping driveway, one where you would normally apply the parking brake, and stop at the top of the driveway and put the car in neutral. Does it roll normally, or does it act like the brake is applied? If it acts more like the brake is applied, again, you have a stuck wheel cylinder, and this would create significant drag, reducing your MPG. But I have to believe you'd be smelling hot brakes:flamethrowing:

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Check for a LEAK in the FUEL TANK!!!!!!

8MPG!!! DAMN!!!!

The info center calculates MPG based on MAF flow readings and the known A/F ratio, it does not directly measure fuel flow, so leaking gas tank will not effect the info center MPG rating in any way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the charcole canister for any dirt or stuff in the pipes all clean, I checked the locking braked they seem ok. I cleaned the MAF sensor everything seems fine. What else could it be? please help fuel is killing me!!!

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Press RESET

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You should only reset the mpg reading if your going to drive at least 60 or more miles (non-stop) on the hwy. If you reset it, and sit idling in traffic for half an hour, then expect such a low reading. How is the car running otherwise? CEL light on? Try reseting it before making a longer highway trip, and see what happens. For the time being, just start reseting the trip miles, and do the math when you fill up, I'm sure your numbers will be much higher than 8mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts