Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter owns a 1992 Sable. This is the first Ford product I ever did brakes on. We replaced a froze-up passenger side rear brake caliper. While bleeding out the air I noticed almost no pressure. Even with the supply line removed, the fluid was barely flowing and the pedal ever so slowly went to the floor. Little by little we finally pushed out the air. This didn't seem right to me so when we replaced the pads on the opposite side, driver's rear, we decided to check the flow. Contrary to what we had on the passenger side, when we pumped up the system and I cracked the bleeder valve we had a full stream and the pedal went straight down. Does anyone know why we have flow to one side and not the other? From what I can see (pretty cluttered there), the master cylinder only has two lines coming from it, one for the front and one for the rear. Is there another valve somewhere that may not be switching correctly? Any ideas or experiences with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My daughter owns a 1992 Sable. This is the first Ford product I ever did brakes on. We replaced a froze-up passenger side rear brake caliper. While bleeding out the air I noticed almost no pressure. Even with the supply line removed, the fluid was barely flowing and the pedal ever so slowly went to the floor. Little by little we finally pushed out the air. This didn't seem right to me so when we replaced the pads on the opposite side, driver's rear, we decided to check the flow. Contrary to what we had on the passenger side, when we pumped up the system and I cracked the bleeder valve we had a full stream and the pedal went straight down. Does anyone know why we have flow to one side and not the other? From what I can see (pretty cluttered there), the master cylinder only has two lines coming from it, one for the front and one for the rear. Is there another valve somewhere that may not be switching correctly? Any ideas or experiences with this would be appreciated.
[/b]
I am not sure your 92 Sable is different than the 94 I own. If it isn't, you have 4 lines coming out of the master cylinder. The line is on the left side just behind the seam and then goes over the tank to the right. Except this part you can check it for kinks or collapsed sections. If not this then maybe because of your frozen caliper the line became plugged, sediment, rust forming with no brake fluid flow. If it is a sedan you have a pressure control valve mounted to the floor pan near the left rear wheel, but what trouble this can give you, I don't know, my is a wagon.
Another reason to check thoroughly the lines is that this is a 92 and depending where it lives your brake lines may be at or near the end of their useful life, especially in the rear! A burst line to the same wheel you are having problem with rendered my whole system useless. How Ford designed the braking system for this to happen is beyond me. Good luck.
Stan

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Probably one of the rear rubber brake hoses. Easy fix.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Probably one of the rear rubber brake hoses. Easy fix.
[/b]
:werd:
You can try cracking the flex line loose at the body while pushing the brake pedal. If the pedal drops more quickly and you get more flow thru that connection, then the flex line has degraded and collapsed inside, and should be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts