Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I have 2000 Taurus SE. Today, I heard some rubbing noise from rear tires (sounded like tire is touching something). When I looked at the rear tires, I found that there was very little clearance between the driver side rear tire and the fender above. The passenger rear had similar problem but look a bit better when compared to the driver side. Front tires looked OK. I have no idea what the problem seems to be. Is my car collapsing? Please please help me to understand what the problem is and what I can do. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i would make sure the spring is not broken and rubbing on the tire. normally unless there is damage to the car or if the tire is the incorrect size there should be no reason for rubbing. In general just check around the tire for anything that may be loose or damaged. likely a good visual inspection will find the problem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree. I've been working in a shop for a few months (career change) and it seems like Ford's spring quality is the worst of all the manufacturers. And it runs through all their lines-FWD cars, light trucks, full size vans and trucks. After 8-10 years the springs are done and if you want to get a decent alignment you're looking at a full suspension rebuild. Taurus, Windstar, Ranger, and E and F series vans & trucks seem to be the worst.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're tires are rubbing to the fenders because they are sagging... This can be an after shock if your bumpers are also sagging. This happens when the bumpers are loose and the bumpers are not tightly screwed to the edges... There are big chances of putting the fender in danger when a sagging bumper is not fixed.

Oh I forgot... to fix it... first remove the screws of the bumpers and fenders, then rescrew it again with a larger screw if it is a loose screw... if the screw portions of the bumpers and fenders are broken, replace it with a new one.. you can d it on your own..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I agree. I've been working in a shop for a few months (career change) and it seems like Ford's spring quality is the worst of all the manufacturers. And it runs through all their lines-FWD cars, light trucks, full size vans and trucks. After 8-10 years the springs are done and if you want to get a decent alignment you're looking at a full suspension rebuild. Taurus, Windstar, Ranger, and E and F series vans & trucks seem to be the worst.
Yep, the '98 ZX2 I sold to buy this Taurus looked like it was lowered. The rear had the Taurus sag going on but the front wasn't far off. It rode rough so I knew the struts were shot for a while, but I wasn't going to spend that money on a car with almost 140K that I was intending on selling shortly. I priced it out...not worth it for me. The Taurus will be well-attended to though.

Hopefully it can be my son's first car. He's 3 now. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts