Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo fellow taurus owners. I have recently installed an aftermarket cd player in a 99 taurus. This is a good friend of mine's car. I have done many a stereo install in the past and even used to compete locally at alot of the spl events. Anyway, she bought the install kit and harness. I wired everything up in the house, go outside to basically "plug and play" like with most installations that i have done. Even swapped over the climate controls to the new kit. The kit came with an adapter to use with 98 and up models, that i used. Well the thing did not plug up in the car. Needless to say, i had to hard wire the new unit in the car. Stereo works great, but, heres my problem the center knob that contlols def, vent, ac, etc. is stuck in the defrost function no matter what position you have it on, except for off, it turns off. Everything else works fine, climate control and fan swotch are good. I am thinking that maybe i somehow internally damaged the switch during the swap(only thing i can think of) Has anyone had this problem before on these cars? Why is it stuck in the defrost position? I thought i would try here before anywhere else since i am a member on another vehicle forum and everyone is always so helpful when i have something go wrong with my ride. Surely someone has encountered this before. Sorry if this is too long, just trying to paint a good pic of what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Helo fellow taurus owners. I have recently installed an aftermarket cd player in a 99 taurus. This is a good friend of mine's car. I have done many a stereo install in the past and even used to compete locally at alot of the spl events. Anyway, she bought the install kit and harness. I wired everything up in the house, go outside to basically "plug and play" like with most installations that i have done. Even swapped over the climate controls to the new kit. The kit came with an adapter to use with 98 and up models, that i used. Well the thing did not plug up in the car. Needless to say, i had to hard wire the new unit in the car. Stereo works great, but, heres my problem the center knob that contlols def, vent, ac, etc. is stuck in the defrost function no matter what position you have it on, except for off, it turns off. Everything else works fine, climate control and fan swotch are good. I am thinking that maybe i somehow internally damaged the switch during the swap(only thing i can think of) Has anyone had this problem before on these cars? Why is it stuck in the defrost position? I thought i would try here before anywhere else since i am a member on another vehicle forum and everyone is always so helpful when i have something go wrong with my ride. Surely someone has encountered this before. Sorry if this is too long, just trying to paint a good pic of what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
[/b]
Sounds to me that the knob is fubar. Does it click? If not that happened on my Taurus because my dad had a bad habit of turning it too much. You can order replacements from RockAuto.com, Car quest, or Autozone (my best bet.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it still clicks. You can definitley feel a good transition between the functions. And it worked perfectly before the install. I am really stumped on this one. I get the feeling it is something electrical because of that crazy harness she bought. If it helps anyone, i think it was a scosche, brand best buy sells. Any one experience this? Hate to go buy a new switch if this one is still good

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Did you plug the vacuum lines back in? Or did you rip one?

No vacuum will put it on defroster only, its a failsafe incase you lose vacuum so your windshield doesn't fog up.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Did you plug the vacuum lines back in? Or did you rip one?

No vacuum will put it on defroster only, its a failsafe incase you lose vacuum so your windshield doesn't fog up.
[/b]
:werd:

The selector runs off of vacuum. No vacuum will automatically send all air flow out the defroster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if this sounds stupid guys! There is a vacuum line?? I didnt see any such line when i pulled the old out. I did do everything in the dark... but i had brought the old assembly in the house to swap over the climate controls. Where does it hook up? Directly on the back of the controls? Sorry if i sound ignorant, i dont have the car right in front of me. I will be over there tomorrow to see about fixing the controls though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, maybe somehow one of the lines broke. Thanks for the help, i will repost if i cant figure it out again. Be monday before i look at it again

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Either the white or yellow one supplies vacuum from the engine compartment IIRC.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
definately check the lines and make sure the vacuum tube harness is plugged in firmly. No vacuum = only defrost. It's usually the same with other cars also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts